who's responsibility is it?

a very close friend of mine just moved 6 hours away to a place with a washer/dryer hook up. i had an old set in my parents' garaged that i hadn't used in over a year and i sold her the set for $250. however, she is making the payments in increments and has only given me $100, but i let her take the set anyway because i trust her.

anyway it's been 2 days since the move, she called me today and told me the washer isn't working. it comes on but it's not spinning. i only used it for a little over a year, and it was working just fine when i stopped using it. im wondering if its not working because it sat in my garage for another year. or if it wasn't hooked up properly by her husband but he said he hooked it up right because it's fairly simple to hook up a washer. its weird that it works but not "clicking over" when the spin cycle comes on.

so anyway she told me she'd call later and tell me whether or not it's working. im thinking of offering for her to keep the dryer and just give me another $25 for it (since the whole set would have been $250, id sell her one part for half) and just do what she wants with the washer. but im wondering if shes going to want ME to fix it, and if she does, is it my responsibility, since she hasn't finished making the payments yet and technically it's still mine? or hers, because she made a payment on it, and took it in "as is" condition without having paid the full amount?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• Tell her to bring the washer back,have her keep the dryer,and call it square

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It's hers. She took the stuff on payment. No different than layaway or rent to own. If she wants it fixed, she can fix it.

Also, she bought it "as is" That means that she owes you the entire amount.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think the paying half and being done with it is GOOD
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 1:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No way is it your responsibility, even if she paid you all the money, its not your problem. Simply tell her to return it, give her money back and be done with it. She did not pay in full, so why does she feel you have to fix it? Tell her to bring it back, and you give her portion of the money back....done deal. You answered your own question when you stated allowing her to keep the dryer, and give you 25 bucks. Best offer on the table. Don't let her or her husband boss you around, and it could very well be something they did wrong. Washers usually lasts longer than a year. I've had mine now for 2 years, and its working great.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You sold her an operating unit. She believed you when you told her-- implicitly or explicitly-- that the set worked. In other words-- do you normally sell your friends broken and unusabe stuff? I would offer to refund her the money for the total unit.

If, instead, she wants to fix it. I'd offer to pay for half of the repair costs.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Hers.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Used items are normally sold as is. You are offering her a good deal. With that good deal she can afford to fix the washer. Sitting in the garage, maybe something simple just got cold and broke.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't have tested it out either.  It was working when you put it in the garage so why test it?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Wait a second, is this a VERY good friend or just an acquaintance?  Would she be the type to tell you something like that just to get out of making the full payment?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Anything can break and its not as if it was brand new when you sold it to her. You have a choice, you can either walk away from it and have her own you $0.00 or you can get the rest of the money for the dryer. She has an option. She's basically renting to own the washer and dryer from you. She's responsible for getting it fixed if something's wrong with it and a washer is simple to hook up, you just plug it into the wall so there's hooking the washing machine up would not cause the problem. Maybe too many clothes have been placed in the washer and that's the reason why it has broken (maybe?) But either way I would look at it as how much I value the friendship & also by being a good person and doing the right thing...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2011