What is your favorite bible verse?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Jesus wept". It shows a human side to him that I find endearing.
    Anonymous

• What verse is this mama? Do you know? If not I can look it up?
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Colossians 3:12-15 (New International Version, ©2010)

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Proverbs 3:5,6
    5. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    6. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
    Strangemama28

Answer by Strangemama28 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• many..but today I will choose John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." and31 "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" (NIV)

"Jesus wept". It shows a human side to him that I find endearing.
    the verse is John 11:35
    I also love that one :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have several favorites.

My favorite when I was a kid was 1 Corinthians 13 4-7

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres".

I also tend to like the ones that parallel well with Buddhist teachings. For example, “Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which spitefully use you, and persecute you;” Matthew 5:44 parallels very well with “Hatreds do not cease in this world by hating, but by love, overcoming evil by good. Overcome the miser by giving, overcome the liar by truth.” Dhammapada 1.5 & 17.3
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I also love this one:

1 John 4:7-12
    7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Revelation 21:4
    And he shall wipe out every tear from their eye and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore, the former things have passed away
    LizzieAnnesMom

Answer by LizzieAnnesMom at 3:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.” (Is 40:8).
    I have many favorites but this one popped in my mind. I love every one elses. Great job
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Ecclesiastes 9:11 "Time & Unforeseen occurrence befall us all."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011