What does your 2yr old know?

I was wondering what the average 2yr old knows. My son is 28 months old and can count to 10, knows all his shapes, and all his colors, and quite a bit of his alphabet. My husband says that the first 3 years is when children are able to learn very fast so we try to fit in educational things along with play (counting in books and alphabet from magnets or bath sponges)
I was wondering if he's on track and what other kids his age should know.

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter will be 3 end of July. (making her almost 30 months) She can count to ten, she knows some colors, she knows everyone's name (real name that is, not ''mommy'' ''daddy'') She knows a fair amount of her shapes, she knows all of her body parts, and she knows which shoe to put on the right foot (= there are others just cant think of anymore lol
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• he does know all his body parts too :) He's very inquisitive and soaks up things so fast. My husband wants me to introduce the concept of left and right next
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes Great job!
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My son turned 2 in November. He knows his alphabet by sight, upper and lowercase, can count to 15, shapes (9 of them - from a puzzle we have), colors (but only basic ones - like 8 of them), and body parts. He's also really good at puzzles, he's working on 28 piece jigsaw. I don't really "work" on him learning stuff, I just talk about the stuff we're playing with or things we see when we're out. And he sees/hears a lot because he has 3 older siblings.

Answer by missanc at 3:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Too much! Lol umm she knows all of her body parts, all of her abc's, how to count to 10, most of the basic colors, which shoe goes on which foot, she's starting to learn shapes, and knows animals and the sounds they make (other than the duck..she says that they say "aflac"...love my dh for teaching her that :$ since he works for them). Oh and she also knows all the words to other songs (you are my sunshine, itsy bitsy spider, row row row your boat). Girlfriends also got a memory!! She tells my parents stories that happened close to a year ago (and is actually accurate and truthful)..she knows her name and how old she is, and she's starting to learn how to spell her name (Kenzie), she'll get the k-e-n down and the comes the i-e lol...sound like you're doing a great job with your little one.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 4:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my dd is 29mo and knows all her body parts and some other things she can name, she has a speach delay tho, but can point out 4 colors and read the word baby :)
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 6:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• yea my daughter is way to smart.. she is 3 and already she just recently started the Y questions.. my bf tells her why he is doing someting and she can now turn the tv on get herself juice, she knows stop lights. i used to read my college books to her when she would go to sleep..
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 12:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2011