Crawling/Pulling Up and Fussing the Whole Tme??? (9 months old)

Really strange, and really starting to get on my nerves, to be honest. I work at home, and J has started crawling and pulling up on things (yeah! No major delays due to 2 months prematurity.) However, for some reason, he fusses almost the whole time he does this! He crawls around touching things, playing with things, climbing on things (like his bouncy seat) and so on, but he's fussing the whole time, much of the time (not crying, but his "I'm discontent" type of fuss, which is hard to explain -- it's like a moaning whine, and SO irritating!) But am I missing something? Why would he fuss while he's seemingly playing/exploring? In all other things, he's a very happy and easy-going baby (well, he used to be!) It's not that he's tired - I've already tracked that to rule it out.

Anyone else ever have this with their baby, or have any idea what could be going on? Even when he hated tummy time when he was younger, he didn't just moan/whine the entire time he was down on the floor playing!!

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure that he is dressed warmly enough ... two layers on his torso, at least one layer on his legs, warm feet.

It is common to see parents are dressed twice as warmly as their babies (perhaps it's because of the hassle of clothing at diaper-changing time??! ), even though the baby's smaller size makes him far more sensitive to chill ... and even though a baby spends his independent time in the very COLDEST part of the house - the floor.

He is building lots of muscle and ligament strength with his incessant efforts, and being forced to keep himself warm at the same time will strain his body's resources. This could cause pain - think about doing weight lifting when you are in the cold outdoors WITHOUT a coat: your muscles will start to ache VERY quickly.

A baby is controlled by his will impulses. Unlike an adult or an older child, he cannot quit if he needs a break.
    It's great that he has a strong will, and (cont'd
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• He is probably teething & is malcontented. Poor little guy. learn patience now because when he starts walking, it gets a whole lot harder. Sorry to say but your life in no longer your own once you have a child. GL
    Anonymous

• (cont) It's great that he has a strong will, and you want to encourage that throughout his childhood (strong willpower is lacking in a majority of our American population due to time spent on screen activities - TV, computer - and due to the strait-jacketed hours strapped into carseats, strollers and home baby-holders, and then the later strait-jacketed hours of sitting still in school, etc. So treat his will like a precious thing ! )

A hat is also important to keep him warm - just THINK how much warmth is lost off that nearly-bald and comparatively very large head ! If you hold your hand near his back or head and feel warmth coming off him, then you know he needs better protection.

Until he has achieved the strength he needs for his new level of activity, try helping him by giving him pleasant breaks from the compulsion of his will impulses: hold him in your lap, play finger games and sing, carry him & explore outdoors
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• He's definitely dressed warmly...
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• anyone else have any insight?
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• maybe he is bord? idk my 14mo will walk around doing stuff making that kind of sound and i ask him "what is it buddy" and offer diffrent things but he only stops when I start interacting (i work at home too)
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 6:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• "SimplyErathy: maybe he is bord? idk my 14mo will walk around doing stuff making that kind of sound and i ask him "what is it buddy" and offer diffrent things but he only stops when I start interacting (i work at home too)"

Ah - maybe that's something. And we live in a small apartment too. I find it so hard to give him something new to play with every 10minutes or so. Maybe that's what I need to keep trying to do though...
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2011