Anyone have a list or know how to go about finding a trusted source of infant child care?

I live in Chicago. I don't trust anyone- especially when it comes to my unborn child.

I have no idea where to start.

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 1:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got a list of the certified providers in my area and just called around and met with a few of them until I found one I was comfortable with. It's hard at first but it get's easier. My son has been in his day care for almost 2 years and next year will be able to start preschool and now I'm nervous about taking him out of his current day care and finding a preschool I trust!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I beg you to reconsider.
    I'm a preschool teacher. And although it went against my own bottom line, I would urge mothers who called me to enroll not to push their child out of their home until the age of 4 1/2 at the youngest.
    A child's physical, emotional and mental development is super-affected by the presence of her mother.

Right now your blood is nourishing her.
    After she is born, her vitality will still be dependent on your physical nearness.
    Her mental growth is enhanced by oxytocin, the hormone present when we feel safe, relaxed, warm and well-fed. And it is hindered by stress hormones - caused by chill, hunger, and tension - which is created when a baby is not in the same room with her mother.

I realize this is an unpopular position, but it is VERY factual and very real.

Your decisions will affect her entire life - 80 years. Isn't that worth reorganizing your life for the next 5 years ?!

Best wishes.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I appreciate you knowledge and experience, however, not working is completely impossible. I don't have the luxury of a choice in this matter. I HAVE to work in order to keep our home. It's not the position I want to be in. I would love more than anything to be there for my child day in and day out- even if I could just work from home. But my job is not one that allows that, finding a new job at 6 months pregnant is impossible and not fair to any employer I would apply for (hi, give me a job that is more accommodating to the schedule I want to that I can't take off for maternity leave in a few months).
    meandrphoto

Comment by meandrphoto (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011