My son might be being bullied

My 6 yr old indicated to me that there might be some bulling going on at school and at the bus stop. I tried to talk to him more about it. But he pushed it off like its not big deal. There are about 10 kids that gather at the bus stop and he said 1 kid likes him, and the rest of the kids "wrestle" with him. I asked if they were playing, he said "no, their not, but its okay it doesn't bother me much". This is kinda how he is. If someone was to try and pick a fight, he will just kinda brush it off and ignore the situation. Which is fine, except with bulling that usually just makes the bully more determined.

I am not sure how to handle this... talking to the school will probably make matters worse. I offer to take him to school, but he says he wants to ride the bus. I know that ME getting involved may make things worse as well. He is my oldest, so I am not sure as to how I should handle this. We just moved here mid semester, and I am not sure he is making friends. He says he is, but he doesn't talk about them, even though I ask.

Advice mommies, how do I handle this. I know that he may need to learn to deal with bullies on his own, but... he is 6, I just have this sick feeling in my gut when he leaves for school. He wants to be liked by everyone so much, I am afraid that he would be willing to be bullied just to have that interaction.

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 2:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• When you talk with the school, although they should not mention any names, ask them not to, to make sure.

We had a bullying problem at the bus stop by ours. When i talked with the principal about it as far as what to do when we (us parents) see it, she said it is the schools responsisbility, and that any school bus stop is considered "school grounds", and it's the schools responsibility to take action...so i think you should mention it to the principal (directly).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• 2 of my children have been bullied. And it happened on the bus as well as at school. I took my kids off the bus and started driving them. I also reported it to the prinicipal. You are the parent and your sons only advocate, it is your responsibility to do something. Because it will escalate, so you need to nip it in the bud now. Your son is only 6, he may be afraid to tell you how bad it is because he is afraid of what else they might do. Kids should not be wrestling at the bus stop, in the first place. It's not like he & his friends are playing around. Thats different.

I also volunteered at my children's school and got a p/t job there as a Noon Duty & Resource Aide Sub. I tell you what, the bullying stopped real quick.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 2:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with the other ladies. Bulling a 6 yr old that is terrible. My husband got bullied in middle school. They would hold him down and give him "red bellys". Kids can be so mean. My husband never told his parents. I am sorry this has happened to your little boy
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• of coarse, if the school doesn't resolve the problem, you need to speak up and teach your kid to speak up. My son was kinda like yours...but there will come a point when you and he say enough! Teach him the skills before that point comes. I taught my son to 1)YELL "NO, STOP", if they continue to be physical then to 2) YELL, "I SAID STOP"...and push the other child away. I told my son to look all "crazy" and point his finger in the kids face when he said stop.

It worked, problem solved. Bullies will bully if they allowed to . It's awful, but that's the reality. If it continues, i would go to the parents of the bullies and tell them if they can't control their kids...the police will be called. Usually parents of bullies don't give a crap, until it becomes inconvient for them.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Get involved!!! It will get worse! The kids will get meaner and your son will get hurt!!! I honestly don't know what is wrong with some of the kids today!! They r real troublemakers!!! If u don't get any satisfaction from the school,then take it further. I would demand that the school talk to the other moms about this! Don't back down!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Most kids want to ride the bus because only sissies get driven to school by mommy. Even at this age they are too cool for their parents.... Talk to the school, shake things up, mention the recent bullying deaths in the news and scare the crap out of 'em.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My son was in the 7th grade.Well in the south they have a certain Friday they call 7th grade kill day!My husband and i remember it as a joke to scare the 7th graders.My son begged not to go to school that day and so i went and watched no one knew i was there.Well my son was correct.I watched him get jumped by 4 older boys.I could not get there fast enough.My son broke free and ran to the office with me behind him.I demanded all the boys involved get suspended.They all got 2weeks and a talking to by ME.I also sent a letter to the boys parents.I herd from 1 mother.Nobody else.The one mother i did hear from called and apologized to me for her son and asked if her son could apologize to mine.Of course .This 7th grade kill day was never taken seriously before but now its a real deal.It was the first few weeks of school.too.Had no problems for the rest of the year.I got involved,had too.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011