Are there any "Tiger Moms" on here?

If so, how are your kids adjusting to this parenting method?

mommyg24

Asked by mommyg24 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't like the method at all, honestly. Just my two cents.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• what does that mean?
    knm51504

Answer by knm51504 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It fascinates me and I think parts of the philosophy are integrated into my parenting style.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• a nicely done and simplified article about it
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CGEQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mercatornet.com%2Ffamily_edge%2Fview%2F8582%2F&rct=j&q=tiger%20mom&ei=CN05TcDsIMWBlAfe7NmpBw&usg=AFQjCNGoOs6LPV6_iJkjocbg3ZrKEhDrrg&cad=rja
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No, I would never dream of treating my child like that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Aren't there laws against treating your children like that? I'm just saying.
    lyndsey1788

Answer by lyndsey1788 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Hell no! My mom was, and thirty something years later I am still sorting out some of the issues she gave me! I expect my kids to work hard and do their best, but I think it needs to be done for them and not for me. My 8 year old will sometimes ask me if he 'has to study' for a test... I basically say that he needs to think about what kind of mark he wants to get and how he will achieve that. I say if he wants a C, by all means don't study. But if he wants an A, he has to put in the work to get it. He does want an A, so he takes my advice and goes and studies. Whereas when I was a kid I studied hard and got A's because my mom was over my shoulder cracking the whip, but I never felt proud of my work or took ownership of any achievements. I felt like they were her achievements, not mine. And once I decided that I wasn't going to let my mom dominate me anymore, I had NO IDEA what I actually liked or was good at!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no it seems extremist to me.. its one thing to be strict and expect your child to excel and be polite , etc but this method just seems super cruel to me
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Its not for me so no.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2011