s/o of Facebook employer question: should an employer or potential employer be able to demand access to your FB page?

autodidact

Asked by autodidact at 2:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• nope
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No. Demanding access to something private is different than looking at what is public.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• nope. they wouldn't bother though. you'd have time to delete, edit, clean up the rif raff, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• what if someone fakes a profile of you and you dont get the job based on the fake one?

So no, I dont think so PLUS for most of us we're safe since no one can see you profile unless you add them as a friend.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Demand- NO! My father would look at the FB pages of potential candidates though. Many of them were just OPEN books on FB, and he easily found them. He did not hire a few due to their posts. He preferred to see those who actually USED the privacy settings on FB too.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no, that's pretty asinine.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No, personal life and business life should be separate - but if you're on FB at work, I think you've opened the door.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No way, my private life is just that, private. If I wanted to make a 'work friendly' Facebook with my co-workers/employer that's a different story.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No but alot of employers look at peoples FB, MYS, if they are able too some people are ignorant to what people think of when they see some of the stuff you put on them.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No, i don't think they even could. That is a violation of privacy. If that person chooses to leave their profile open to the public, that's totally different.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011