Do you allow your hildren , of any age, to be rude to telmarketers?

I used to do fund raising for breast cancer & it ALWAYS amazed me how rude kids even as young as 4-5 could be. Also the parents who have their kids lie b/c they don't want to talk to them.

WAganma56

Asked by WAganma56 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i don't allow anyone to be rude to telemarketers in my house...i used to be one...the best people were the ones that would just hang up and not make me go through the entire script and then have them say no...and b/c I was being monitored by supervisors I then had to appeal to the person so that they could say no again...and then a third time before I was allowed to let the call go. It's like this, just hang up so I can get someone who wants to donate or buy what I'm selling so that i can reach my quota and not get in trouble. Just hang up as soon as you realize it's a telemarketer. Don't mess with them. They are real people trying to make a living.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• nope
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• mine don't answer the phone
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I just don't answer phone calls that I don't know the number. I can't stand solicitors calling my house and interrupting MY time! If I'm going to donate to a cause I will do it on my own and NEVER to someone on the phone. If I do answer the phone and it is a solicitor, I tell them to stop wasting my precious time, put me on the do not call list and if they call again it WILL be considered harassment. As for my children, no, they are never rude, they just tell them the same things I do.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No, I wouldn't think so. On the other hand, my friend used to pretend to be a little kid when she picked up the phone and it was a telemarketer. This was when we were teenagers. She would just say stuff in a little kid voice like, "I like kitties" "I have a belly button", and they would just hang up on her. Now that, I think is funny.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'd like to because my Mom did with me and it was hilarious. But I am trying to make sure my kids are morale and have conversation skills so I never would. Unless the caller ID says Daddy cell phone they know they're not to touch it. I wouldn't want to coach or encourage rudeness. It'd probably be good for a chuckle but the long term effects are massive.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no way. That would be sending mixed messages. Its ok to be rude in this situation and to an adult and not in any other situation,,,too confusing. Plus I would be upset at them for doing that
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Not a problem here... my kids don't answer the phone and we are on the Do Not Call list!!! 
    But, if someone is rude enough to call our house knowing we don't want calls I'm going to be rude them. It's payback.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Nope never told them to do it. Of course as they became teenagers they did it on their own and would all be laughing and Id bust them.

Answer by gemgem at 2:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My kids don't answer the phone. We call call identify anyhow- if we don't recognize the number, we don't bother picking it up. It's pretty easy to tell who is a telemarketer- either an 888 number or a weird area code with no name attached... we just let those ring.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2011