anyone as broke as i am?

well my phone is about to be shut off~~ i owe $96.00
my lights i owe $86.00
my gas i owe $101.00
i owe the library 16.99 and can not check things out til i pay it!! i lost a book well my kid did!!!
i rob peter to pay paul, i have sold my jewelry what else is there??????

AND NO I AM NOT GOING TO SELL MY ASS!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• wow, I know how you feel. I have sold everything I have down to the lawn mower.
    I have tried almost everything, I have found a few things that work,,but thats what they are is work!!
    Don't feel too bad, the only things I have left are the things that I would be upside down in if I did sell. I'm about 8 K upside down in my car,,,,If the economy would come back it wouldn't be so bad. Let me know if you just need someone to let you vent,,,that sometimes helps.
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• yes we are beyond broke and the sad part is we both work and do side jobs -we haven't went out to eat in so long I have forgotten what it is like...we don't throw our money away at all and we till come up short so I am really depressed about the whole thing
    Anonymous

• At least it doesn't sound like you're horribly behind on anything, even though it is harder to get back into the black when you're behind and barely making it. We're doing alright, but right now I'm nervous because I got taken off work REALLY early due to pregnancy complications and I was already worried about saving enough for my maternity leave since both my SO and I are off work 2-3 weeks over the holidays anyway and with x-mas coming up to pay for too. Just try to remember that worrying about money doesn't make you have any more of it. Have you thought about finding a roommate? Also, call around to see if you can find a cheaper place to go through for your home and car insurance, see if you can lower your cable or phone bill...that sort of thing. When I "comparison shopped" I saved $100 a month. It took me half the day, but it was worth it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Honestly, I have the same problem and asked my mom. She said, "Stop smoking, stop drinking diet coke, stop buying lunch out at work, only drive when you have to, carpool if possible, stop wasting food, turn off your lights when you don't use them, cut off cable, internet and phone, you can live without them." I am like "WHAT". She said that is what she had to do, just for a little while.
    Anonymous

• Have you talked to the electric and gas co? They can put you on a payment plan. I am on equal pay for the electric and gas. I pay the same amount 10 months out of the year then the last two I pay what is owed.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• yeah maybe more so. we bounce like 5 small purchases cause checks clear quicker then the money deposited so the money didn't clear on time and the checks withdrew faster. we owed like 170 but they reverse some after i told them i guess i better close my accounts. i will leave it open only to cash checks and get my direct deposit of my child support. for now on only doing money orders and no more banks. they just have a license to steal money with all those outrageous over draft fees.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Call them and negotiate a lower amount and see if they can lower your pmts and break them up over a course of a few months or more. Have you considered a part time job, or doing work from home, or a home based business that will earn you money right away. Everyone is feeling the effects of this economy in some shape or form. Others really have it worse than others, but worrying about it and doing nothing is not going to help the situation. Focus on the positives and pray and keep looking for ways out. God Bless You and your family.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Start a work at home biz, there are some that are free and some you pay a small fee for the materials to get started. I have been working from home for 3 years. Contact me if you would like more info. Also contact everyone you owe and make arrangements to make small payments that you can afford. Take in a renter if you have an extra room. I am reading Total Money Makeover, it gives many good ways to get out of debt.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 10:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am just as poor as you, I live in a house that falling apart. I have a $400+ water bill, overdue mortgage, car payments, $900+ for an oil bill, very poor and will possibly be on the streets after the new year.
    Anonymous

• "they just have a license to steal money with all those outrageous over draft fees. "
    Are you seriously saying that? Do you know that what you were doing is called kiting checks and it is illegal. They aren't stealing. You did NOT have the money that you spent.
    Anonymous