How do you feel about parents that homeschool, but can't string together 2 sentences?

More and more I notice parents that are choosing to homeschool their children. I'm ok with that. Education is a personal choice and I would never fault someone who wishes to homeschool. However, I also notice some of those same parents (moms I guess, since we are on a mom forum) can't seem to string together two sentences with halfway decent punctuation, spelling, and/or grammar. Should they be allowed to homeschool? Should there be a requirement or certification to be able to homeschool your children? Or is it just simply a person's right, regardless of their own abilities?

(Please note, I don't think all homeschool parents are like this, but I have noticed a lot).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Maybe you should look into what is required to homeschool around the country - every state has their own laws on the matter. Honestly, I am happy to live in a state where I don't have to report to the school system that has so terribly failed my children.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree. I thought about homeschooling once. I am not all that smart though. Other moms keep telling me you have books that guide you through everything. I still think you need to be smart on a certain level to do it. JMO.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• There is more to home school than just the parents teaching. There are curriculum and guidelines and standardized test that still have to be passed by the children in most states. Some home schooling is done completely online and some is done by DVD and video while sending the child work into professionals to be graded. There are so many options in the home school world that even a parent who has not passed the 9th grade could successfully have their child taught at home.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Well, when I see that I thank goodness that their teaching alone isn't the end-all-be-all. Even with a good teacher lots of children don't pay attention or care, but homeschooling comes with a lot of regulation and testing and reporting. Those kids shouldn't be any worse off than children who go to public school at least.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• as long as the home-schooled child is passing their tests and getting good grades and learning, i dont have a problem with the less than perfect grammar/punctuation of the parent. after all, how many teachers these days have sex with their students and do all kinds of other vile things? they shouldn't be teaching our children either and they are until someone finds out.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The same way I feel about the ones who graduated college and can't string two sentences together. As long as the kids are meeting benchmarks and passing the tests every year, they must be able to utilize the other materials at their disposal even if they don't have the ability to write coherently.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I honestly have a hard time with it and feel sorry for the kids. One cannot teach what one does not understand and the kids will be stuck at or beneath the educational level of the parent.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I really just don't care.
    elena_rae

Answer by elena_rae at 3:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I might have more hesitation about that situation if I hadn't had decades of experience in schools (both my husband and I have worked in many schools).

I don't know what's going on with folks who choose to be teachers, but ... horrible spellers, bad grammar, ignorant about geography, challenged by mathematics, you name it.

Truly, the one-on-one exploration of academics with an adult who loves them is FAR more valuable, and will take the child much farther in coping with life.

Homeschooling, by the way, is rarely done via the parent just presenting the material out of her own memory - they use books.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Did you know we are at war? Have you read up on Haiti's progress? OP there are more important things in life to be worried about.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011