Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

taxes and who claims....

This is going to be long and I am sorry in advance but need help. My dd's father and I were never married and we dont have anything legal between us we share her 50/50. Well his wife and him decided to put her in a private school. I REFUSE to pay tuituion, she can get the same education at a public school, minus the christianity. It was NOT my choice to put her there so I told him I would NOT pay half of the tuition.

So he claimed her on taxes the last 2 years and I emailed him last week and advised him that I was claiming her this year and he said no problem would you pay for her lunches and her dance classes...I said no problem. I come to work this morning and I have an email from him stating that since I am not paying her tuition that we supposedly agreed to him claiming her on taxed every year, well we did verbally but that was lat year to shut up his wife. Well he states that he will be claiming her and unless I wanted to pay part of her tuition that is what it is going to be...then he goes on to say he has paid 2950.00 in tuition this year. NOT MY PROBLEM. So now I dont know what to do....I refuse to pay tuition for my child to go to school when I did not have a choice as to where she was going(I think it is a status quo thing for his wife). He owns his own business and has 2 other kids. Am I being unreasonable? I dont know how to argue this. I know if I get an attorney involved that I could end up getting fucked due to him paying all tuition, but I dont know!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • If you guys share DD equally, you have her the SAME amount as he has her, then yes, you should be able to claim your daughter on taxes. SCREW tuition!!!!! Especially if HE offered to put her in that school. I would have said the same thing, she can get just as much education in a public school. IMO!!!! I think if you got an attorneyyou wouldn't get ''f*cked'' but i have no just saying how i feel lol. goodluck.

    Answer by knicole0708 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • yes if u share her equally the usual arrangement is one year one gets the child tax credit while the other the earned income deduction then alternating each year, unfortunately without a legal agreement its basically whoever files first but u may want to warn him if u fight the claim and can prove u have a claim on the credit and the irs agrees he and his wife will be barred from using the deduction on any off his children for five years besides there is no extra money involved past 2 children so if he can claim his other two kids he isnt going to benefit from yours together anyhow.

    Answer by rhonda111787 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • If she lives with you and you dont' have anything in writing as far as custody, you can claim her every year. It is the person who the child lives with 60% or more and since there is no court order that would be you. As far as the law looks at it, the tuition is a gift. If you share her 50/50 anyway, I would go to court a get this legally done. He will have to pay back child support from whenever you didn't live together too.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • sad,i'm sorry for you,but please don't let your daughter get in the middle of the arguments.Children get hurt so easily ,and it could hurt for a long time.If you did get a lawyer mabe it would wise him up and child support could be coming?Most men had rather do it the way you are doing it,because child support is based on income.If this works for you then do it,but i would check out all my options first.Most towns have a lawyer referal service the first 30 minutes are free.Check into it just to know what and where you stand .good luck

    Answer by grismelda at 4:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.