sick kids

what is contagious with the common cold and or the flu..... are they contagious when they cough... at what temp. are they contagious... I was wondering b/c i just started babysetting about a month ago and every since i did my 3 month old has been sickk........ the girl i watch her parents never take her to the dr.. when she is sick so she can never get better the last time she was sick i took her to the dr but i dont think that it is my responabilty to take her... so i need to know some things that are contagious so that i can tell her parents if she has that she cant come

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• I'm not really sure with a cold its not contagious unless the child has a fever and as far as the flu goes it can be contagious up until 72 hours after the symptoms have gone away. Bronchitus very contagious should keep child at home. I know a bit about what your going through I used to babysitt as well to parents that were pretty similar to what you described I finally made her sign a contract with me that stated if the child was sick he would have to go to the dr and have a doctors note stating that he wasn't contagious or would no longer be contagious after this date then told her if she did not follow it I would no longer accept him here and her monthly payment would be non refundable it also stated that in the contract soon she was doing the responsible thing I had two young kids in the house and my youngest was preemie can't be to careful
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 8:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Sorry I can't be more help. But I always say if they have a temp like over 101 they should saty home. That is the rule in school and should be with preschool also.
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 2:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Coughs spread air borne germs. Usual rule of thumb if they have a temp they are contagious. You cannot take you kid to a day care or school with a fever and she should be at home with her mom if she has one. Any barfing, diareaha, rashes, ring worm, pink eye...the list goes on!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2008