what challenges do kids with asperberg have?

my 12 year old nephew has asperberg (spelling questionable) . what advice do you have for me that I could teach my sister?

diamondsarecool

Asked by diamondsarecool at 3:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter is an Aspie. Most of her challenges have been in the sensory department, though she does have some obsessive/compulsive tendencies too. She communicates very well and is very bright...sometimes too bright. She is very direct and that is the biggest challenge for her socially. She doesn't filter much.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If he is 12 and she hasn't gotten all the info she can yet, she needs to see some professionals and get advice. If he was recently diagnosed she needs to choose the therapy that will work the best for him.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I can't really give advice except to say that every parent has to find their own way to cope and to make their children's lives full and satisfying and functional. Find good therapists. Find good support structures. Be patient. Educate yourself like you never have before. Be a warrior for your child to get him/her everything he/she needs and deserves to be successful!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Children like this have problems with social cues and human relationships. For instance with my son he doesnt always get when someone is joking so we have to say "were joking". He doesnt like to be seen as different. They are usually highly intelligent. They get obsessions and when they have them he will need to work them out of his system. My son had favorite shirts and even if he didnt wear it everyday it had to be washed and hung up where he could see it. They need structure. My son needed me to always be in the same parking spot everyday after school so it wouldnt change. Change is hard for them, which is why structure and routine is key, along with alot of love and understanding.

Answer by gemgem at 3:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i thought it was more so related to difficult social skills with other people. hard to stay focus, lack of attention span ??my nephew is very intellegent that he is always on high honor roll. he plays the drums. he talks as an adult. blows my mind!
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The Challenges differ from child to child.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Social situations can be really awkward for aspie kids; they don't pick up on typical social cues. (They may talk too close, don't understand sarcasm or joking around, etc.) Many also have trouble with textures, both with food and anything touching their body.

I would suggest she find a local support group. They are a valuable resource in learning how to deal with the situation.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Oh aspergers is a very interesting "disorder" if you wanna call it that :) I think its just another type of person myself :)

My dd is 5.5 and is very smart...savant almost in some areas. Academically gifted but slower in social areas and also some behavioral issues. Her speech is delayed with is NOT typical for aspergers. She is slowly overcoming her issues and will eventually fit in perfetly with her peers....except for her very apparent gifts!

I look for her to be a great Dr one day :) :) :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Asperger  syndrome:) They are really sensitive for noises, lights, foreign people, unknown things. They like rules but they have their own rules based on their logic. Usually people with Aspergers and autism are sensitve for gluten. It causes behaviour problem for them if they are allergic and they eat some. They don't really understand what's going on with the other people (it depends on how far are they towards the autism spectrum). They don't want to be rude or behave badly. But they don't have the same definition about love, hate and feelings anyway. They live and feel differently. A parent can teach them how to feel and behave quite normal but it depends on the child if he or she accepts to play by the rules.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 3:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My 14 yr old has Aspergers which is part of the Autism Spectrum Disorder. One thing to remember is that it is not a 'cookie cutter disorder' where everyone is the same it is a big spectrum and what my son does your nephew may or may not do. Some challenges are: my son does not understand sarcasm or figures of speech, he has trouble fitting in with peers, he likes having a routine and can get upset if his routine is altered, he needs to be told in specific terms, not abstract.... (there are others but I can't think of them right now).
    One thing that helps us is to get a routine down, to give him notice or 'transition time' between changes in activites, visual reminder cue cards help him and I have them posted on his bedroom door. For school he has an IEP in place.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011