dealing

My child has been the only child for almost 8 years. How can i help her to adjust to not being the only child anymore? Iam expecting in aug

augboy11

Asked by augboy11 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• Get her involved (assuming you are pregnant?) in the pregnancy. Talk about how amazing it will be that she's the big sister. Enroll her in baby care classes (even though she won't be watching the baby she will feel special and important). My kids were thrilled with their little brother (8 years between him and his sister). I think the trick is including them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Get her involved. With decorating or looking at stuff for the baby. Look at all the neat things that big sisters can do. And make sure that she knows that this is NOT replacing her and your love will not be less. Love multiplies not divides. Make sure to spend some special non baby related time with her. Maybe get her doing somthing special that only big sisters get to do.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I really don't think it is necessary to do anything other than just talk about the new member of the family and the changes everyone will have to make in terms of adjustments. Our son was 7 when his brother was born, and he never missed a beat. We didn't make a big deal out of it and neither did he. His wife just gave birth to their fourth child when their older three were 11, 9, and 8 and they were all excited about the new baby, and they still are. I think that when you don't expect trouble, most of the time you don't get any.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011