Getting Rid of the Binkie once and for all..

I know its awful, but I let my 21 month old daughter continue to use her Binkie in bed at night and at naptime because she just wasn't sleeping without it. Now we have another baby on the way and I want her broken of the binkie before her baby brother/sister gets here and she starts stealing their binkie! I need a way to make her not WANT the binkie anymore...any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ladies

truesilence85

Asked by truesilence85 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Gooooodluck, because she was completely off the binky, and then when her little sister arrived, she started stealing it!!!! Good thing is, my LO hates a binky, so now we're back at square one lol....taking it away altogether! =(

GOODLUCK!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I told my son that if he gave his binkies to the Binky Fairy that he would get a toy. So we went to Toys R Us and he picked out a toy and then when we went to pay I told him to give his binkies to the Binky Fairy (the cashier) and he did and never had a problem after that (well except that any time he found an old binky he would try to use it as currency to get more toys)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• See, that's what I'm afraid of..the stealing. Maybe I will get lucky and this one will hate the binkie so I can get them all out of the house once and for all! LoL Thanks
    truesilence85

Comment by truesilence85 (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I dont know if its possible to stop a child from stealing a bink, or bottle... even if they have stopped using it doesnt mean they dont know what it is or dont want it you just dont let them have it. I mean i think its good your breaking her from the bink but I wouldnt hold my breath that shes not gonna steal the little ones.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 3:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No ideas. They usually put it down when they are ready. You can tell her, she is a big girl, etc. But to be honest it is a comfort for her. It makes her feel safe. And if another baby is on her way than it will be more difficult. You can take the Binky away and give her another comfort toy (like something cuddly). But it still won't be easy. I hate Binkies. It is worse on the long run. I haven't heard about parents who hasn't been crying when they wanted to end the Binkie period or co-sleeping. It is really comfortable when a child is small. But on the long run it is worse for the children and for the parents as well. Good luck though. It won't be without loads of cry.:( If you can convince her to go for another Comforting toy than you are fine. You can say she is enough big now to have a cuddly toy instead of Binkie. Don't give it to her. She will get used to sleep without it. Let her to find her cuddly toy in a shop.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 3:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my son only used a binkie when he was teething. i got lucky i guess. good luck with getting it away from her!!!
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I made it a big deal and talked up how my dd was getting to be a big girl and then as part of her birthday party we had a ceremony to through it away and she was so proud of herself and everyone clapped for her. She never asked for it again but I did keep up with telling her what a big girl she was and would let her help with "big girl" things. I only had her so I am not sure about the stealing of another siblings binkie.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I took it from my son when he was 10 months. I just took it away. I did the same for my daughter. Eventualy they realize that it's not coming back. I just threw the ones I had away. I wish you luck!
    mommyof2_1989

Answer by mommyof2_1989 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I told my daughter she was finally a big girl and it was time to donate all of her binky's to other little kids who needed them. I told her how much it would help them and make them happy. Then I had her help me collect them from around the house and we put them in a box and took them to Goodwill (not that they would accept them, but the kids will never know). Maybe you can tell your daughter that you guys need to donate them to make room for her new sibling. The binky fairy/ toys r us idea is a good one too.
    briasmom07

Answer by briasmom07 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Its her "soother". I actually never experienced this with MY dd but a little boy who at the time I started care for him was 16 months was using a binkie....I took it away (his father desperately wanted him off of it) and together we found him a stuffed animal to take to bed/naps & carry around...it may or may not work....but the little boy hasn't touched a binkie in 6 months....
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2011