Would you call cps?

I hate to make a post about cps, but...
We have this neighbor girl. She's about 9. Always dirty, disheveled looking, asks ds for snacks a lot. Was just outside in 10 degrees in snow...no hat, no boots, no mittens ever, she doesn't have any. Super long pants dragging in the snow all wet. She just asked to come in and play with ds, 5. Ok, fine. Poor kid has a split lip, bandage on one hand, and a big bandage on one foot (she took her socks off because they were soaked). No straight answer about how her injuries happened except the foot...her shoes don't fit right and give big blisters she said. I hung up her coat and noticed my hand smelled bad after touching it. I'm not saying there's abuse in her home...but I'm pretty concerned about neglect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• It may not necessarily be a situation of abuse or intentional neglect, it may be just that the family needs help & doesn't know where or how to get it. If you call, CPS will send someone to investigate and, if it is found not be a true case of intentional neglect, they will set the family up with services & supports to help them. If it is a case of neglect and/or abuse, then you will have saved this child's life.

Win-win either way.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It could be they can't afford those things as well. I would call and say you don;t know if there is abuse or neglect but you do know the family is in need of help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I feel like when ANYONE senses abuse it is our responsibility to take action.  If you think there is abuse going on then you should report it.  Nothing gets done by people doing nothing.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'd call (or stop into) her school before I'd call CPS. Talk to the school nurse, counselor, principal.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If I had a real concern about a child, I would call. Kids need adults who will speak up for them when they are in a bad situation.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I ay go for it.She sounds like she needs somebody to care about her.good luck
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would not stop and see the parents. If they sense any digging they could potentially pull her from school, prohibit her from going outside, and so on
    hibbingmom

• i would call asap what if there is abuse going on and u wait to late. The only thing that will happen is someone will be sent over there and sent to talk to the child at school.
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 4:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If you really think that abuse is happening then you should call.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes, but then again, I am a social worker. The school would never talk to you about another child. That is highly inap
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2011