If you had one child die of an inherited disease...

and your other child had to have weekly infusions of drugs for LIFE or until they came up with a cure or he/she would die as well because he had the disease too,would you chance having another child and have him/her possibly be born with it as well?
My FB friend had her 1st son die from the flu because his body makes ZERO antibodies against disease. Her younger son has to go in weekly to have 3 hr sessions of what is pretty much dialysis along with drug infusions.
She has stated that she is not using birth control and is leaving it up to God whether she gets pregnant again.
Her son's disease is very rare and the medical staff is using experimental procedures to keep him alive.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• my first kid is completely healthy - knock on wood and thank god!
    my second had a rare genetic disease - his kidneys failed before he was half a month old -
    so i have the right to speak on the matter. i will never have another kid =- they all have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the genetic condition bcuz dh and i carry it - so no -- -after seeing my child suffer in the procedure room... i will never put myself through that again --- then again -she doesnt have a healthy kid =- so that might be the difference here... i think she may be setting herself up for a lot of heartbreak~
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• That is sad. :(

For me, probably not, if there was a high percentage of conceiving a child with the disease. But it's a really personal thing. Unless you are faced with it, it's hard to say what you would do.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• In that case no. I love children..but if me bringing them into the world would somehow run the high risk of maing them suffer..I would get my tubes tied and thank god for the children I have. She should think about her children before she concieves again.

I know a few of my friends who have rare medical problems that are genetic and had their tubes tied even before they had children..because they featred for the life their children would have to live..instead they adopted!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 4:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No, I would not want to put another child through that. I would have my tubes tied.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I absolutely would not. It's not fair to put yourself and another child through that physical and mental pain. JMO
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would not. :-/
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• with odds like that, and already having created 2 children that suffered from it, no, i would not have another baby. i would not put myself nor another child through such hardship.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No i would not. There is a 50/50 chance that my husband has an inherited disease & if he does that means my children will too. After schooling myself on this disease i told myself i would not have any more kids. It would break my heart out living my kids.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 4:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No I would not have more children. I wouldn't want to chance putting a child through that.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no, i would not.
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 6:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2011