I'm starting to put my baby on formula, I was breast feeding her and not she cant go to the bathroom, how long will it take her to be regular agian!?

eastsidechick52

Asked by eastsidechick52 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This could be because the formula doesn't agree with her, maybe discuss it with a doc or someone?
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• DON'T GIVE HER FORMULA It is toally normally for brestfed babies to not go poo for up to a week! Formula will only make it worse. Breastmilk is very digestable, so there is very little for them to actually poop out. It is normal. Continue breastfeeding. Don't suppliment!!!
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 4:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• formula constipates babies. all brands. supplument if you must, but breastfeed as much as possible if you don't want a constipated baby
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Formula only constipates children more. It's quite normal for breastfed children to go days, even sometimes weeks, without a bowel movement and it not be constipation. Who diagnosed the constipation?
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• i would tell a doctor that she isnt going to the bathroom they will remedy this fast cause a backup is not good for anyone!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I was told by my pediatrician that it is normal for formula babies to not have a BM every day, he told me if she ever goes longer than 3-5 days without to call him immediately. He said otherwise, it is normal. You could try adding a little more water than needed with the formula to help things along. I usually add 1 extra oz of water if she hasn't had a BM by the evening and it always helps us.
    TiffanyNTrista

Answer by TiffanyNTrista at 8:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Low iron formula can help with constipation, but it is a little harder to find and comes in a smaller can. If your baby is a little older, you might try mixing some juice in with the formula or alternating formula and juice.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• give her a little prune juice but i agree go back to breast feeding its very good for ur child
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I breastfed my first baby for 5 months. when she was 2 weeks she stopped having dirty diapers but my mother-in-law told me to give her an ounce of warm water with a pinch of sugar or a couple drips of corn syrup in it. It worked, now whenever she gets constipated I just give her some sugar water and she goes poop in a matter of hours.
    Lizzie_Beth

Answer by Lizzie_Beth at 12:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2008