Spin off... please explain how exactly Jesus fits the criteria of the Messiah?

According to the Jewish Bible, one of the requirements for the messiah is that he must be a descendant of King David. All of the major Messianic prophecies indicate this (Ezekiel 34:23, 37:21-28; Isaiah 11:1-9; Jeremiah 23:5, 30:7-10, 33:14-16; and Hosea 3:4-5).

In the gospel of Matthew, the genealogy of Joseph, who was the husband of Mary, is traced back to King David. Therefore, since the genealogy as recorded in Matthew only traces Joseph back to King David, but never connects Joseph as the father of Jesus, it is clear that Jesus has no established genealogical record going back to King David.

Jesus failed to fulfill any of the major messianic prophecies; he was never anointed as King, he never ruled Israel, and the world was certainly not perfected in his time. In addition, he was not preceded by the return of the prophet Elijah (Malachi 4:5). Finally, he was disqualified from ever being a messianic candidate due to his lack of the necessary family background.

So how exactly can you say Jesus is the Messiah if he clearly dosn't fit the criteria for the Jewish Messiah?

http://www.sullivan-county.com/identity/gen_jesus.htm

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 4:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Religious Debate

• This is a good link showing both Christian arguments and Jewish counter-arguments (with some additional sources listed at the bottom) about the messiah requirements. I'm not Jewish, and I'm no longer Christian (just interested in religious study). The Jewish counter-arguments make sense to me, and I personally believe that if there was an historical Jesus that he was a fully human (probably enlightened) teacher. I found another good link on this topic a while back too. I'll see if I can find it again.

Is Jesus the Messiah?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Check out http://www.apocalipsis.org/difficulties/descendantofdavid.htm . Also, if you compare the geneology in Matthew and the one in Luke 3, they are different. Some believe that one is actually Mary's geneology. Later in the scriptures, in Romans 1, Acts 13 and 2 Timothy 2, there are several mentions of Jesus being a literal descendant of David. As for the other things you mention, you seem to get stuck on the timing. Jesus is the ruler of Israel (the house of...) He will return again and sit on the throne. I am a Latter-day Saint (Mormon). We believe that the prophisied return of Elijah actually already happened when he appeared in the Kirtland temple on April 3, 1836 and restored certain priesthood keys. It had to happen before the "great and dreadful day of the Lord" (which is the Second Coming). That day was not his earthly birth and ministry. The story isn't over yet! Jesus will return. Many prophesies refer to that.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Actually Mary was also a direct descendant of King David so therefore Jesus was also.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Answer by Mama2JoshKatie at 4:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If nothing else, just saying he wasn't an ordinary human means the requirements are not met from their perspective.

According to Jewish scripture and belief, the true Messiah (pronounced "moshiach" in Hebrew) must meet the following requirements. He must:
    * Be an observant Jewish man descended from the house of King David
    * Be an ordinary human being (as opposed to the Son of God)
    * Bring peace to the world
    * Gather all Jews back into Israel
    * Rebuild the ancient Temple in Jerusalem
    * Unite humanity in the worship of the Jewish God and Torah observance

Because Jesus did not meet these requirements, from the Jewish perspective he was not the Messiah.

Jewish View of Jesus
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• These Jews who followed Christ believed he was the messiahand wouldn't change their mind even with the threat of torture and death. They understood the OT teaching very well, and to them he fulfilled the prophecy. They weren't making up their own religion they intended to remain Jewish but followers of the Messiah Jesus.

Wow. Something similarily (sp??) interesting that sparked in me today! They witnessed Him after ressurection. They believed. Here is what sparked. The apostles could have believed, lived a long nice life, and gained everlasting life reguardless. They did NOT do that! They abandoned everything and risked all, even though, they were "in." They did not do it for rewards. They knew the truth.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 7:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Most Jews did not believe that Jesus was the Messiah. However many, many did based on what they saw and experienced at the time of Jesus or shortly after his death. These Jews who followed Christ believed he was the messiahand wouldn't change their mind even with the threat of torture and death. They understood the OT teaching very well, and to them he fulfilled the prophecy. They weren't making up their own religion they intended to remain Jewish but followers of the Messiah Jesus.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It's only archeology-it's nothing I suppose.

The Jews were suppose to reject Jesus, so is this a trick question?  The question for me is "How could He NOT be the Messiah?" 

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 7:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I love questions like this because they get me digging deeper in my Bible--I don't Google. I came up with about 115 OT references about the Messiah and how they were fulfilled by Jesus in the NT. Instead of wasting time and space, you can send me a message if you would like them. As for your reference to Malachi 4:5, this verse is not actually talking about Elijah, but John the Baptist who, "in the spirit and power of Elijah" prepared the way for the Messiah. Look to Mt 11:10-14 and Luke 1:17 for confirmation. I also suggest reading Psalm 110. It's one of the most quoted psalms in the NT because of it's clear reference to the Messiah. For those who believe that Jesus was "just a good teacher", both the OT and NT proclaim the diety of Christ, so the Bible does not allow for the option to "straddle the fence." Just sayin.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I see how your argument shows why the Jewish people do not believe he is the Son of God
    There is no way I am going around and around with you on why I believe he is- my past experience tells me that with you-no matter what I say- you will either misconstrue or say you do not understand
    I would suggest you google your question as there are numerous links and resources that will give you what you are looking for-if its information
    If you are looking for an argument- I am not the one-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Interpretation.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2011