is it okay that my son is 14 months and still sucks on the pacifier

he needs is everynight mainly to go to bed and throughout the night idk how to get him off it completely

chelsyama

Asked by chelsyama at 4:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't say its horrible. Though most start to wean off at 1 year.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• you will get mixed feelings on this topic im sure. I think the binki should be gone no later then 18months but truly think it should be gone by a year just like the bottle but everyone has their own opion. If you want to take it away the best way is just go cold turkey toss them out one day and go with the flow it usually only takes one bad night then they dont ask again the earlier you take it away the easier it will be as they forget sooner. If you wait to much longer then they get more attached and dont forget as easy.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It makes hm comfortable at night, let him keep it until it becomes a problem. My son ditched the binki at 2 mos and took up thumb sucking and he is 3 ow and still does when he is tired and when he sleeps (bummer, but what can you do). Do what is good for you and don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think if your okay with it then it's okay.  I would check out what the dentist has to say though.  I keep hearing that pacifiers can mess up teeth.  I haven't really done my own research though so don't hold me to that.  I stopped the pacifier at 3 months on each child.  If I felt like they needed it for longer then I would have let them have it a little longer.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• That is a decision all up to you mom :)

I started telling my kids at around 1 that it was a bedtime only thing. That was my first step in weaning. They were both done with paci by 2years old.

Saw a kid the other day who was 5 with one hanging out of her mouth...now THAT is too old IMO
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Well half your battle is over if he only needs it at night . See if you can get him a toy that he would like more then the pacifier and slowly introduce that toy only at bed time then slowly take away the pacifier. This worked with my son and he still has the bear but does not need it to sleep with . I did not do the cold turkey thing because he was not able to talk and tell me what was wrong . Good luck!
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 4:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I honestly think at night is okay. My son stopped at about 9 mos, but at times I think back to how much easier night time was with the paci.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• personally imo i dont see anything wrong with it. my youngest just got rid of hers. we had two left and one got lost in the snow when she went out to play and the other one the puppy chewed up so that was the end of it and i wasnt buying anymore. the first nite she wanted it but we "couldnt find it" so i told her we were going to bed anyways and the next day she was looking for it but couldnt find it then after that it was forgotten. and she is 2 years. i really just dont care because it is or was in our case a comfort thing. like a blankie or stuffie but its all in how you feel about it. right now im working on potty training and its going great and in the next month we will be working on getting rid of the sippy at nite so we can do without diapers at nite. (she drinks water at nite)
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My DD STARTED using a pacifier at 14 months (when we took the bottle). I HATED it (mostly because I find them to be disgusting) and broke her of it two months later. Which is when she found her thumb. Which she still sucks at 2.5. Damn. LOL
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• well depends are you wanting to break her off of it? If not then no. But if your lil one is anything like he threw massive fits if he didn't get his binky during the day when he was only allowed it at night so I started weaning him by 18 months he still had it and was hitting at me over his binky so I had to take it cold turkey. It was a long month for us but now he doesn't even care for it.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2011