what food should i avode while brestfeeding?

JennasMommy2010

Asked by JennasMommy2010 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You may continue to eat most foods in your normal diet while breastfeeding and most baby fussiness or "colic" is normal for a new baby, and is not related to foods in your diet. There is little evidence to prove whether or not gassy or spicy foods - when eaten in moderation - cause discomfort or problems for a breastfed baby. Studies that have tested that eating gas producing foods does not cause any increase in gas or crying in the babies. The gas we get from beans comes from the undigested part that remains in our intestines. The portion that enters the blood stream and into the breastmilk is not the part that causes gas.

emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• There's really nothing you need to avoid unless you have reason to believe it's affecting your baby strangely (like lactose intolerance or reflux).
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The only thing that I avoided was jalapeno poppers since she would refuse to nurse.

Other than that, only foods that seem to effect the baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Basically just alcohol and OTC drugs not ok'ed by a doctor. Other things may come up if you child is intolerant... My DD could not handle me having caffeine with in an hour of feeding her.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It will totally depend on your baby. I ate anything I wanted while bf'ing my kids, including spicy foods, it never bothered them at all. You can also have alcohol, you just have to give it time to metabolise before bf'ing. And beer, especially dark beers, are good for your supply.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Nothing, to start. Eat as usual, and only remove foods if you notice a negative reaction.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i've only heard spicy food cause it makes your milk spicy...just eat healthy
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• unless you feel the need theres really none, no alcohol or anything ;)
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 6:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• http://www.loveyourbaby.com/foods-to-avoid-while-breastfeeding.html
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• thanks ladys
    JennasMommy2010

Comment by JennasMommy2010 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2011