How do I break up with my OB if I have already paid for her services?

My husband and I chose our OB, because she came highly recommended from other doctors and works at a very prominent clinic in our area. However being a first time mom and not knowing ANYTHING about being pregnant and all that goes into labor and delivery, like to feel that my concerns matter, but she has very little people skills. She almost makes me feel stupid for asking questions or voicing concerns about the way I want to deliver our son. Our visits last maybe 5 minutes if I am lucky and the more I see her the less I like her. We had to pay for her services upfront so I feel trapped into using her, and just don't know what to do at this point as my due date is only 3 months away. What do I do??

erikital

Asked by erikital at 5:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• never heard of paying up front for doc visits. well i would call the clinic and see what their policy is as far as changing docs and getting some of your money back. if they wont refund some of the money and you dont want to lose out on money spent then id say your stuck
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would talk to the OB's receptionist and say that this isn't working out and you would like to be refunded a portion of what you paid equal to the remainder of your pregnancy.

It sounds way too fishy and the birth experience is one that you don't want to feel uncomfortable with. You need a doctor that will listen and advise you through your pregnancy.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• iv never heard of having to pay all upfront either. I have to pay so much every visit so that by the time we come to delivery its paid for but never all up front. Find out what their policy is for getting you money back and changing drs? Im sorry to hear your in this situation just because there good drs doesnt mean they are the right dr for you. She may be good at her job as far as delivery and care but people skills are very importent and im like you i wouldnt stay if i felt like she didnt care about my needs and wants for my delivery. Have you talked to her about the way she makes you feel?
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes, find out the policies. Did you sign any papers when you started? Read them over, if so. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would go to the main doctor of the department and ask him to change the OB. You pay for the hospital and not the doctor. IF you ask for a doctor change they should do that. I am sorry you have to go through this. Never pay anything before or only with full money back guarantee.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 5:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Oh I am sorry this is not a good feeling when someone is not concerned with your feeling and concerns . I think that you all were tricked no paying upfront is required at my hosiptial and it is one of the best in the nation. I would talk to the clinic manager and see if she has an associate that way you do not have to worry about moving records. Good luck and you are in my prays.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 5:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i never heard of payin up front but you still should be able to change doctors
    quetta669

Answer by quetta669 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I understand. You pay the co-pay on the first inital visit and then no more for the rest of the pregnancy. I would cut your losses and find a new doctor and since your insurance company already received the first payment. I don't think you have to pay again.
    nmaxwell816

Answer by nmaxwell816 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It's strange that you had to pay everything up front. Normally you pay the co-pay at the first visit and then pay your portion of the delivery out until paid off by the 7th month.

I would call the office manager, tell them it's not working out, and ask for any remaining prenatal visit costs and the delivery cost back. If they refuse ask for a copy of their financial policy.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Don't be afraid to change your practicioner at any stage of your pregnancy! But do let her know that you need more hand-holding in upcoming visits, and give her a chance to do so.

When I signed up with mine, the policy was that the global fee was due AFTER the birth, but I did have to pay a small holding fee. If the practicioner was unable to attend to the birth or I decided to change practicioners, then I would be billed at the normal office visit charge for however many times I saw her.

A typical visit with a doctor averages 15-30 minutes, and a typical visit with a midwife averages 1 hour. ALWAYS have your questions written down prior to each visit, and take notes on what they say. There are no stupid questions, especially as labor gets close!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2011