Government assistance- Good/Bad?

What do you think about the government assistance programs out there? (WIC, Foodstamps, Medicade, etc...)
When is it allowable to be on these programs? Do they work well now do you think? Why do you think so many people are being allowed to take advantage of these programs? Should there be drug tests to get assistance?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I love the idea of these programs and what their intent is.

When is it allowable to be on these programs? I think the people who should be allowed to avail themselves of these programs are people who have done their best to help themselves and need a bit of temporary help while they strive to be self-sufficient.

Do they work well now do you think?
    These programs do not work well as they exist right now because people sometimes generations of one family make getting on and staying on these programs their career. This places great burden on the resources available through these programs.

Why do you think so many people are being allowed to take advantage of these programs?
    Maybe the money it would take to hire the new staff and monitor the programs is not there.

Should there be drug tests to get assistance?
    Yes. Buying drugs is not proper use of your resources.
    caribba

Answer by caribba at 5:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• can of wormspopcorn

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i think these programs are wonderful for those that need it. i myself use wic. it was more useful to me when my babies were on formula, but i still appreciate the other things i get from it like milk, eggs, bread, and im thrilled they added the fruit/veggie vouchers on it. granted, $6 worth of fruit veggies wont get you much but when money is as tight as it is right now in my family, i will take any kind of savings i can get.

if it would make you taxpayers feel better about buying some of my groceries, i will gladly piss on a stick for you. i can guarantee that if im too broke to afford all the groceries i need, i sure as hell am too broke to buy drugs with your money.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think they are good for people who use them as intended.

Answer by gemgem at 5:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Although I agree people abuse it, I was on it, drug free, and would be insulted if they wanted me to take a drug test. Just because I needed a little bit of help shouldn't make people assume in on drugs. I am not against the idea, I just would feel degrated if I was asked to do it. Drug users need to eat, too.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 5:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with drug testing for acceptance on any form of public assistance. I don't think the vast majority of people who need assistance are drug users, but I do think that if they have money for drugs then they don't deserve public assistance. Many jobs require drug testing and if that doesn't offend you, neither should this.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• drinking

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I was and still am on gov't assistant, DRUG free, actually i've NEVER Done drugs, EVER! I wouldn't so much be insulted if they wanted me to take a drug test, I think it's something that should be looked into to be honest.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It is quite helpful to have these safety nets if needed. My only concern is that once you are on them, it becomes difficult to give them up and return to supporting yourself. I don't know how that would be handled though. I was on WIC for years (when preg. and also after the kids were born). It was very helpful. I am not nor was I ever a drug user. I think that would be a waste of money to test everyone. Money better spent on food. To assume that anyone who uses these safety nets is a drug addict is just plain ignorant. Life is so expensive today that people can barely make it, even if they follow all the rules.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2011