how did your child do on their first trip to the dentist, and how old were they?

i have been putting off the dentist for my 4 year old. im just scared of what they're going to tell me about her one big front tooth instead of having 2 separate front teeth. im sure its just a silly fear of mine, and i realize i cant put off her health because of it. i dont think theres anything they will do now anyways and probably wait til she gets her primarys in to do anything.

so next week ill be taking both my 4 and 2 year old in. they do not allow parents back for the initial evaluation. i think my 4 year old will be okay with this, but my 2 year old, not so much...

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My son was 4, went to a pediatric dentist that takes the kids without parents. Just her and the assistant. He did amazing, except he threw up on the dentist when she did xrays. She made a big deal out of him being a big boy, he got to pick something from the treasure box and went home with a goodbag..stuff for him and me. He got a toothbrush, kids toothpaste, a certificate. It was fun for him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Our dentist allows us back there with them. The kids love our dentist.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i took both of ours around 3, and they let me go back cause i was nervous! and they both did okay.. we go to a childs dentist only (like they dont see grown ups) so its really child friendly!
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my son was 11mos and daughter around 9.5m ... you're supposed to go when their first tooth erupts but I am a rebel so waited a little longer :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• and oh - they laid on my lap and giggled during tickly parts.

A 4y/o going to dentist for first time is a potential problem. If you'd been going since age age they'd know what to expect and likely look forward to the spitting, toys, etc. Make 100% sure you're seeing a PEDIATRIC dentist. Adult ones don't have the same training or skill to work on little mouths or be patient with nervous children. ... How long ago did you notice the 1 big tooth? It might have been easier to fix earlier on....... :( the AAP tries to prevent this by encouraging people to take their kids to the dentist by 1st birthday or sooner
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The American Academy of Pediatrics says 1st tooth eruption or at least by 1st b-day. Catching things early is key and also to be shown proper dental hygiene of teeny tiny teethers. How your baby teeth end up is generally how the adult teeth will come in..... my daughter sucked her thumb too long and now at age 4 has an overbite I'll be paying to have corrected in a few short years.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my son was about 2 when he went the first time. he screamed and cryed the first time. he needs to go again!
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It's very, very weird for a pediatric dentist to expect a 2y/o to go back alone.... but I suppose anything is possible.

we're a single income family on an uber budget but since their teeth are an investment we literally go from Minnesota to Wisconsin (approx 4 hours round trip) 2x a year to see the best pediatric dentist our plan covers. they have a flat screen tv on the ceiling and the kids wear headphones to listen to it (and block out the machine noises, adults talking, etc) and very heavily tinted sunglasses so the only thing they're able to focus on is the movie. it's worth the tank of gas. I have genetically awful teeth and since we lacked 28,000 for crowns+caps I had dentures by 25 years old. My kids have never eaten a fruit snack and have had raisins only once a year or so. i am very overly involved in their teeth. teeth are precious and can be gone in an instant. 1 hidden cavity and your whole life changes
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We started taking our dd to the dentist when she turned 3
    oliveoyl214

Answer by oliveoyl214 at 5:01 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• @hibbing i thought the general rule was around 2 years old. i did not know it's when the first tooth erupts. if thats the case, my 1 year old needs to go in too lol!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011