In light of recent debates, what do you think of this quote?

"So let us begin anew - remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate."

-John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 5:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree, and I really like the quote. A lot of people use fear to try to sway people to their way of thinking. I like to have faith in humanity--that we can disagree without being hateful and resorting to name calling, but I lose that hope every time I come to this section. ;-) j/k Seriously, I think you and I often (but don't always agree), but from what I've seen, you have always been respectful and kind in your debates. Thanks for being civil! :-) We're all human and fallible from time to time, but it is frustrating to see that some people almost always resort to name calling and generalizing--initiating it even--rather than only being that way on occasion or in response to how they were treated by others. I'm glad some people can keep it about the issues and not the person. I would LOVE to 'begin anew', but there are some who like to hang onto preconceived notions about those who are different from them.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Okay. I get it. According to you, anything presented by a Democrat at any point in history is bunk and worthless.

***

Okay, let's not get all emotional!

It seems as if when DEMS want to "negotiate" the Repubs are the ones who need to concede...not the other way around.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• According to you, anything presented by a Democrat at any point in history is bunk and worthless.

Not what I said at all...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Really? This isn't relevant to recent events? Civility is lost to today's climate? Why? Isn't it possible to discuss differences with thoughtful debate rather than resorting to hateful and divisive rhetoric?

***

Because since JFK's time, politicians and ardent party line voters have hurled just a few too many unfounded accusations, assumptions and hateful rhetoric, so much so, that an "innocent quote" from a long ago era, just isn't going to bridge the divide!

ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The dems are always saying 'the new Camelot' as if every dem president will be JFK incarnate dems are always saying that? no one I know says that

Maybe I should have said, the liberal media is always saying that.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• rather than resorting to hateful and divisive rhetoric?

No one is being hateful, and this is far from rhetoric. Just by you saying that you participated in 'hateful and divisive rhetoric' because no matter what the 'other side' says, it is demeaned 'hateful and divisive rhetoric'. If we don't jump into line and chant the party slogan, we are divisive and spouting rhetoric. This has become the new slogan for the dems it seems. No one called names. No one insulted. We just point out some trends and we are admonished for it. There's your rhetoric. So, why don't the dems stop the 'hateful and divisive rhetoric' and have a meaningful discussion? Oh, the only discussion is on your terms. That isn't a discussion. That is being a "yes" man. No thank you.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The dems are always saying 'the new Camelot' as if every dem president will be JFK incarnate. Well, they aren't and haven't been. No one is afraid to negotiate, but the dems just refuse to meet at the table until the Nov. election. Only then were the repubs invited to the WH.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• In light of recent debates,.....

But, jsbenkert, you made it relevant to today's events. The quote doesn't seem to stand in today's climate. We just said why we think that. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'm for tattooing the civility part onto the foreheads of ALL lawmakers regardless of party.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• confused This post is about civility, right?  I think we would all like to see civility but it must be given, in order to be received…  

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2011