Not feeding your baby... What should happen to these parents?

Because, seriously, I have been following this case since June (the first link) and now the sentencing is going to start... I am guessing when it all comes down to it, not much will happen to these parents.  So, I know what I would do... what would you do??

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1640511.html

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13884543

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 6:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Omg. That is very upsetting. How could anyone do that? If they did not want their child they could have given her up for adoption to someone who would love her enough to feed her. I hope they get the most harsh punishment possible.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• They should both be sterilized.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• oh but these parents in particular in the article deserve life imo
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I hope they never get out. Did they do it because of her down syndrome? I hope that baby gets good parents
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I am not going to bash the hell out of the parents based simply on a very opinion heavy article. Do we know if she went to daycare? Maybe her normal formula was stored there. Too many missing facts. And a baby that age usually DOES have filthy nails because they touch everything, crawl around, put anything/everything in their mouth, etc. A judge and guardien ad litem (sp?) gets to makes the call on this since they'll have all the facts. the REAL key is how much weight will or wont she gain in foster care. is she failure to thrive? are the feeding nipples in appropriate for her mouth? DS babies can have feeding problems
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't like that article.... too judgy. So what if she didn't have a crib or bassinet? And so what if they didn't ask about their child. They were arrested an maybe exercising their right to remain silent...... and they knew the child was in protective services so they knew she was safe.

I'm certainly horrified for the poor baby..... but it's a rather 1 sided article IMHO.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• did you ever hear about the vegan parents who fed their baby soy milk because they were vegans. well it wasn't enough for the baby and the baby eventually began to starve. they rushed him to the hospital where the baby died. they both received life in prison....which i think is bs because the guy who killed the girl from poltergeist strangled her to death because she wanted to break up and got 2 years, these parents didn't know that soy milk wasn't enough and tried to save the baby and got life. funny how the judicial system works
    momofone725

• Wow. This sounds an awful alot like my cousin did. She didn't feed her son because her BF ferused to take her to get her WIC,and instead of asking someone else to take her,she fed her son water and Kool-aid for that month. He didn't gain any weight for almost 6 months,so who knows how long he went without his formula. He was taken away and like these 2 in the story,she and her BF showed no remorse as well
    These 2 should be neutered!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I can tell they're young, stupid, irresponsible, not financially stable, etc etc. And ending up with a special needs newborn is not happy day for even the best parents. I wish that poor baby hadn't fallen thru the cracks.... there was an obvious need for resources, referrals, help, maybe respite care, and more likely than not - some intervention regarding DS babies swallow/suck difficulties. The parents were failures to begin with but were setup to fail even more. If I had to make a prediction I'd say the baby will become robust and healthy ONLY due to the interventions (OT, PT, feeding therapy) foster care will provide to her.

I do nooooooooot like police/editors talking smack about no fans, no air, no "good" crib, etc because it's opinion and hear-say.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I hate to even suggest this, but the article states that the baby has Downs. Does anyone think that these "parents" were possible trying to kill their child?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2011