Is there anything that I can do to help produce more breastmilk?

mommyof3-1210

Asked by mommyof3-1210 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump during the first feeding in the morning from the opposite breast. Stash it away. Don't expect to fill a bottle, you may only get an oz or two and that's totally normal.

Once you go back to work, pump on a regular schedule and leave it for the next day. She only needs about an oz per hour you are gone... so if thats 9 hours (8 hours plus travel time or w/e), then you need about 9-10oz. With her not nursing, you should be able to pump that while at work. Do you have a good pump? Medela or ameda double electric?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Do you actually need more milk? What leads you to believe you do?
    If you genuinely are having trouble producing, you can try mother's milk tea, fenugreek, and eating oatmeal. Beer with a lot of hops in it can help, but should be consumed in limited quantities if you're a nursing mom.
    I hope you're not gauging your supply by how much you can pump. We can never pump as much as Baby gets on the breast. Go by how satisfied Baby is, making sure he/she has enough wet diapers, and how Baby is growing. There no reliable method other than that.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• 1st of all, look at whether or not you actually have any reason to. Pumping is not an indication of how much you're making (it's not a very effective means of extracting milk), and babies being extra hungry, or wanting to nurse more often than the 'should' are misunderstandings of baby's growth patterns and based on arbitrary and fictional rules about how much and when --there is nothing that can stop someone working physically hard outdoors in the winter from needing more at dinner... and probably more quite soon after dinner... than someone who isn't burning that many calories in a day.

Babies do not need a uniform number of calories in a day, and for optimal (meaning suitable to the baby who needs it) milk production, should have unrestricted access to the breast. As in 'no one caring that it was just 7 minutes ago, or that it's been 12 minutes now' or anything else unrelated to this child's hunger cues now.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• breast feed or pump more... the more they eat the more your body produces... which is why when a baby misses a feeding or slows down it hurts like crazy!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Also, remember that you will probably be able to pump more while at work for missed feedings. What you pump today at work will be tomorrows milk, KWIM?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• What is your concern? What is the reason you feel that you are not producing enough? I can't really advise you until I know what the issue is.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my concern is that I need to pump so that I can go back to work, the baby is getting enough but I'm not producing enough to feed her and pump and I'm trying to avoid bottle feeding all the time
    mommyof3-1210

Comment by mommyof3-1210 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Oh, hon. That's EASY. Just nurse and pump. You WILL produce enough. Breasts are factories which produce on demand... that is, while you nurse or pump. There will ALWAYS be enough. You don't need galactagogues for this.

Try pumping WHILE nursing. Best output and no, it does NOT short the baby one bit.

You don't need to store a lot; baby will need 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation, that's all. 8 - 10 ounces for an eight hour workday! If you can have two days' worth stored, you're in great shape for going back to work.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group sometime. Lots of working nursing moms on hand.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Thank you so much ladies :)
    mommyof3-1210

Comment by mommyof3-1210 (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011