WYR carpet or hardwood?

tiddliwinks

Asked by tiddliwinks at 6:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in

• Hardwood, hands down.

Carpet, once laid, starts to deteriorate -the sisal backing is a natural fiber and it creates dust. There is no way to 'clean' a carpet without removing it and washing it in a vat big enough. All the 'cleaning' done is nothing but surface dusting, with all the sand, dead skin, bug parts and germs resting comfortably within the weave where no cleaning can get anywhere near it. With wear, it puffs back up to the top, period. Even optical brighteners can't make a carpet look clean for long.

They provide ideal conditions for bedbugs, dust mites, carpet beetles (obviously) and all kinds of other wildlife and pathogens, without mentioning the chemical stew offgassing into the house, and holding onto odours of all kinds.

Slippers and socks will keep feet just as warm without giving odours somewhere happy to live.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• & I love it bc the hardwood is heated.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We have both. Carpet for our LO's room and play area, hardwood everywhere else.
    khf22

• Carpet...my feet get cold!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'm with kfh22--different flooring for different parts of the house. I personally far prefer carpet in the bedrooms and in my family room. It's much warmer, more comfortable, and there's less annoying acoustics off the high ceilings with carpet. We've got hardwoods on the stairs, foyer, kitchen, and back entry. I don't really love them, but those aren't areas I'd want carpet in.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Hardwood bc it's easier to clean, but my hubby only wants carpets
    mamaziller

Answer by mamaziller at 6:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Hardwood because it is so much easier to clean.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

Next question in
WYR: Starbucks or Tim Hortons?

Next question overall (Pets)
cat flu??