Please tell me your consequences for different behaviors!

I'm working on an "if-then" behavior chart for my 4yo son, where you list the kinds of naughty behavior and then the consequences (we've already got a motivational reward chart). What are, were, or will be your consequences at this age for:

•Arguing/complaining/whining

•Teasing/picking fights/causing trouble

•Hitting/biting/kicking/throwing

•Stealing toys, books, or other items from someone else

•Lying

•Defiance/rebellion against authority

•Name calling/foolish or evil speech

•Disobedience

•Disrespect/rude behavior/poor manners

•Irreverent behavior at church

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well disobediance is all the above. Arguing is being disrespectful. So first you need to do the "less is more" thing. He is 4 so this chart is probably a little over whelming. Maybe group them into 4 catagories. Disrespect, lying, fighting/hitting, fowel language. And have your own list to go with the catagories. Like disrespect is arguing, back talking, ect. Now I did the 1st offence was a warning, 2nd offence was a time out, 3 or more offences toys are taken. I've even gone as far and taking the bed out of the room to get my point across. That did the trick for me. Hope this helps.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Time out for all of them. I am the Time out queen but they learn their lesson. If the time out doesn't work i would just take toys away from them.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I give my 4 yr old ds a warning then a timeout. Then I put something of his into"timeout".
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have a 4 year old as well. Time outs work for us if used prudently. I can't put her in time out for everything or it looses it's meaning. Being rude, disrespectful, arguing, whining - makes me refuse to give them what they want. Not asking nicely with please & thank you stops my action of what they want from me too. When my little one throws something of hers it gets thrown in the trash regardless of what it is. I say to her "throwing gets it thrown away". And here's a recent trick I found to whining, baby acting behavior. I found a magic key (made one out of a key ring with an old bracelet fob on it). But the magic key is for the grownups to use when a child is not using appropriate words (bad language, whining, name calling etc). The key is used for the grown up to "turn off" their ears so they no longer hear the child. Amazing how much they want us to listen to them. An apology from them turns our ears back on. Works!
    remomingit

Answer by remomingit at 10:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2011