is my baby being neglected by me? :(

i'm a stay at home mom and i have one baby who is 4 months old. my DH has long hours at work but when he comes home at around 7pm, he plays with our son as much as he can. on weekends we have family and friends coming over so our baby gets plenty of attention. then on weekdays its just me and him. i try to get my house chores done when he's sleeping. when he's up i play with him but i don't do any work. i like to stay near him.

ok so here's my question. coming back to the part when he's up. i do play with him, but ofcourse i also get tried after 2-3 hours of non-stop cooing and laughing and singing him ABC's. so i just put him next to me and i watch a couple of online shows on my laptop. after every 5-10 mins i do look at him and smile/talk for a bit. but he's just lying there looking around. i feel so sorry for him. he's too small to play with toys now (he doesn't seem interested in his bouncers, toys or jumperoos). so the time he's just lying there... is he being neglected ? i do play with him. i feed him on time, change his diapers on time, bathe him everyday.. also play with him after every hour or so for 2+ hours. but i need a break too. so am i neglecting him when i'm taking a break from him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are not neglecting him. It can get to feeling like that when they are so little and cant do much. But you are in no way neglecting him. Sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping him entertained and engaged. Babies don't need to be peekabooed and talked to every minute of the day. But yes often, and it sounds like you are spending alot of time with him. Don't worry or feel bad. Once he is up and moving he will be getting into things and you will be constantly chasing him down.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No. You are doing fine and he will get to the point soon that toys will become intersting. I love playing with my children but every mom needs her time also.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No, you're not neglecting him! Being a SAHM for the first time is hard! I used to just talk to my son while I was doing whatever I was doing - and he was very happy and is a very smart 8 year old. He's so little now - he does just need time to hang out and look around. You're doing a lot with him so please be a little easier on yourself :)
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No not at all. You are doing great. You need your break and your time for yourself. You spend more time with your child durring the day then some other parents do that stay home. Relax and dont feel bad....=)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No not at all hun!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• He's not being neglected. My only question is when does he have tummy time? He will start to play with toys, reach for things if he is lying on his tummy on a blanket on the floor next to you when you are doing something else and will begin to amuse himself.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No... he'd go nuts too if you were only playing with him for 12 hours a day!! He needs some time to look around an just "be". I used to talk to my kids like I was watching TV with them... they have no clue at this age but they hear my voice and it's enough so they know they are not alone in the room.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• thanks ladies.. i was really feeling guilty. feel so much better now :)
    @kjrn79: he doesn't seem to like his toys that much. except for the musical mobile which is hanging on his crib. i do give him tummy time but he just prefers stuffing his fists in his mouth and sucking on them. i guess he's not ready for his toys yet ! he likes playing with us though. he talks back or giggles when we make him sit on our laps and talk to him in gibberish ! :D
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You're not neglecting him. If he likes his crib mobile, try to get him an activity mat. I bought one for my baby when she was about 3 months old, and she loved reaching for the toys overhead and it came with a toy that played music.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011