I need help

My son is 4 1/2 and a bit chunky...he's around 42 inches tall and weighs around 55lbs. I've kept him at this weight for over a year now...can't get him to lose but I figure if I keep him there then he'll grow into it. His doctor did all the testing to figure out if he had anything more severe wrong with him and all the tests came back negative. She tells me it is because he hardly eats and his body is storing everything. My son is so picky and if he see's or smells something he doesn't think he'll like he will literally throw up. The doctor told me I need to break him of his eating habits and get him to try new things...she says as long as he's hydrated then its fine to make him go without eating if he wont try what you make. She doesn't understand how stubborn my child is, he can go days without eating. So, what I need is help...anyone go through this before? What was the trick? I've had him help me cook our meals, done crazy things with the food....he helped me cook this nice meal the other day and was fine the whole time....as soon as I made him sit at the table he threw up. It's so aggravating, I know he's doing it on purpose. I cleaned him...yes I spanked his bottom...then I laid him in bed and said when he was ready to try the dinner we made together he could get up...he went to sleep. I need to get my child eating at least 2 meals for now and work him up....he can seriously eat a few crackers a day and be fine...I have to pretty much beg him to eat anything. Please help this out of options momma!

DaniMarie6

Asked by DaniMarie6 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Will he drink pediasure, or whatever that drink is for kids who don't eat much? My 2 y/o eats pb sandwiches, crackers, fruit snacks and fruit for most meals, because he's so stinkin' picky. Hey, he's eating something though. Wish I could help you, but I wish you luck
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 6:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Keep trying different foods and when be is hungry he will eat. I would also take my child to another doctor just to make sure the first one was correct.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My daughter got sick and didn't want to eat anything for like 2 days/. Make sure he gets enough liquids (pedialite is a good choice). If you cant get liquids in him then you need to take him to a dr. And Vitamins if you can.
    I wouldn't worry about putting a child on a diet. Just make sure they are eating 3 meals a day. Focus more on healthy eating and healty portions then the number the scale says.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Thanks...I give him vitamins and he drinks ovaltine. I can get him to eat most fruits and as for veggies he'll eat carrot sticks and corn on the cob...I finally got him to try corn off the cob the other day. I'll look into the pediasure. He ate everything like crazy up until he was about 2 and he just stopped...no warning no nothing...just stopped eating. He wont do pb&j, I wish he would because thats actually pretty good for you. He eats pizza, cereal, bagles, pancakes, nuggets, burgers, mac and cheese maybe once a month...for some reason he just wont eat pasta although he used to love it, he wont touch any red sauce unless on pizza, he eats shrimp poppers which is a shock but he thought they were nuggets lol, fish sticks, grilled cheese, turkey or ham sandwiches, yea thats about it, its not a lot to choose from and makes making dinner a pain in the rear, whats the point of cooking just for me?
    DaniMarie6

Comment by DaniMarie6 (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• He does get a lot of liquids, he drinks the ovaltine, water, v8 juice and apple juice...its a battle to just get him to eat one decent meal, half the time he wont even eat half his bowl of cereal. I was thinking maybe he's just bored with the food he eats so if he could just try the new stuff....its frustrating. I sit him down and talk to him about the stuff he has tried and how he likes it. Then I tell him mommy eats this stuff..do you really think momma would eat something that tastes yucky? He says no but still wont budge. If he could just eat normal meals he'd probably shed the weight because he's so active...ppl just look at him in amazement and then look at me like I'm a bad mom or something. I know they think we prob live at McDonalds or something but we sooo dont, I might get him a burger from there once a month and we usually walk there for the exercise. If he wants a snack I offer him grapes or carrot sticks.
    DaniMarie6

Comment by DaniMarie6 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• He may figure this trick out, but you could always try... my son wouldn't drink water, so I made up this big elaborate story about this special drink I had called H2O, and how it made you run super fast, and grow super big strong muscles. I made a big deal about this H2O and then told him it was sooo special I couldn't share the secret ingredients with him so he wouldn't see me getting the water from the faucet. Just because I called it H2O instead of water he drank it, he asks for it all the time now but will tell you he hates water. This worked with foods too, he wouldn't eat this dish I made that resembles lasagna, which he likes, so I told him it was a super secret special lasagna. For years he refused to eat this dish and that one time because i called it "super secret special lasagna" he not only ate it but asked for 2nds. Maybe try re-wording what you call dinner to something he likes and call it a secret version of it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• He does eat quite a few things when you look at the list. I would add more fruit and veggies. But you need to stop focusing on this as a problem. It seems he is clearly stressed out if he is vomiting. Stop discussing it and just cook meals and if he eats fine.....if not don't push it and just say the meal is over when you are done. Cook food for both of you not something different for him/you. He will eat when he is truly hungry. And limit snacks between meals. You need to change the focus. At mealtimes discuss what you will do that day or the next, what plans you have, etc. Don't talk about food anymore. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my sister used to pull the throw up thing when she didn't want to eat. This is gross but she never did it again after my mom made her eat what she had thrown up one night. It's all about control.
    hq9858

Answer by hq9858 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2011