everyone says that a vegan lifestyle is so great but look at all these infant deaths due to vegan diets.

http://naturalhygienesociety.org/diet-veganbaby.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• of course babies shouldnt be put on the diet, but if an adult wants to do it i dont see whats so wrong about it
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Babies need the correct nutrients to thrive and survive. Vegan can be a good choice- IF it is YOUR choice for YOU. Babies need to have all the correct vitamins minerals and nutriants.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• these parents are being convicted of murder and/or spending life in prison for feeding their babies a vegan diet
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The problem with a vegan diet is that it is one cause of pernicious anemia, which causes irreversible brain damage. Pernicious anemia is vitamin b12 deficiency --the only people who get it are the elderly, who have trouble digesting the vitamin, and vegans who don't eat animal products of any kind (the only source of it).

Vegans who take b12 supplements, or brewer's yeast are eating animal products, even if they conveniently exclude 'yeast' from the animal kingdom where it belongs.

We are omnivores --it is clear from our teeth. If we were herbivores, we would have the same teeth other herbivores have, not the same teeth other omnivores have.

The problem with political eating is that it fails to take into considerations the biological reasons and needs for eating. At least until they figure out how to manage photosynthesis, something has to die for us to eat. I can't see how it matters to the carrot that it's not a pig dying
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• FYI, there are vegan foods fortified with B-12 like meat substitutes and cereals. One of my friends is vegan as is her teen son and they watch what they eat VERY carefully to avoid nutritional deficits.

So long as an ADULT is seeing a nutritionalist familiar with the needs of a vegan diet, I see nothing wrong with that. However, in children, their needs are so different, I have a hard time seeing how their needs can be fully met while being completely vegan. I suppose it *could* be possible, but I was told children up to a certain age NEED fat and cholesterol. How do you get those from non-meat sources?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

FALSE. Pernicious anemia is caused by lack of intrinsic factor in the stomach, which function is to absorb B-12. This IS NOT caused by vegan diet. A vitamin B-12 deficiency caused by inadequate intake of the vitamin itself IS NOT pernicious anemia. Nor does it cause it.

Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I certainly don't think a vegan diet is healthy. Vegetarian, definitely... but vegan is just too strict and leaves too many holes.

I do have a good friend who is vegan and has two kids that are being raised vegan. She's nursing both of them, I believe... The baby for sure. I do know they are very careful about their protein intake and such. Their 3 y/o is downright chubby! :) So, it doesn't *have* to result in malnutrition for infants, sadly, some parents just make bad decisions.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Personally I don't think parents should tell their kids what they can't eat in the first place (unless there's an allergy or some other health issue, or it's candy). I know some people are vegan for health reasons, some for moral reasons, and some both, but it doesn't seem fair to me to reduce your child's options so much because YOU don't want to drink milk or eat eggs. If a vegan doesn't want to be forced to eat cheeseburgers, they shouldn't force anyone else to live off tofu and carrots. I also don't think it's healthy for anyone, especially young children who are developing and grow so fast.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• DD's stepmom is a vegan. We both agreed my daughter should not be on the same diet, though I have no problem with my daughter eating vegan meals sometimes and having a generally healthier diet. I don't think vegan diets are best for children, but it has done wonders for her stepmom. Done correctly it can be a great thing. Done incorrectly it can be hazardous. But it's still not best for children.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 9:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Humans aren't meant to be on VEGAN diets, vegetables just don't readily produce the essential amino acids we need. Vegetarian diets are another story.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2011