(CAP) Child Assault Program being taught to Kindergarteners?

I received a note home from my sons school asking if I am willing to allow my child to participate in the CAP program. There will be a parent workshop to explain what it involves but after reviewing the state website I am a bit uncomfortable.

They review bullying, adult stranger against child and an adult assault involving a known adult . They review these things using dolls, roleplaying, songs and pictures and then have discussions and open question and answer. My problem is they discuss sexual assualt and I'm not sure if they go into any details about sex with them.

Do you think 5/6 year olds are two young for this information? I am all about teaching my children to be safe and the difference between a good touch and a bad but for some reason this program has me a bit nervous. What are your thoughts??

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 7:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Assualt is not sex. It is a violent crime. What I did was I covered what abuse is - both domestic and sexual abuse. Key phrases such as "private parts are the areas that your bathing suit covers" are commonly used. It is tactfully done and age appropriate. All kids deserve to know this information - and quite frankly even before Kindergarden. The message from these talks are that hands are not for hurting. Remember that in some homes the very people who are supposed to protect and educate their children on this kind of violence are the ones who are educating them in a whole different way. Violence is a community issue and impacts us all. The real crime would be to not allow access to this valuable and life saving information.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It sounds really great to me, cuz Im about to broach some of these topics with DD if I find out tomorrow that she will be going to pre-k. But I would be careful on what words and how they teach these things. Im not sure about the role playing, etc. but I don't know the minds of a 5-8 yr old. I have a good friend who was sexually assaulted as a child and her 4 yr old girl reports everything to her mom when left with babysitters or out of her care, even when shes with her dad. The 4 yr old told her pediatrician once that they weren't allowed to touch her genitals, only mom & dad were allowed and only to clean them and nothing else.
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 8:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• They also taught her & their 2 yr old son to say "vagina" and "penis" and no cutesy nicknames for body parts which I heard is a good thing. Poor DD still thinks her "butt" was any area that was in her diaper or underwear, even if its the front! So I got some teaching to do, but shes so young and innocent and doesn't understand ya know. So ya, I think the information is good and needs to be taught but in a very proper, careful way & if your uncomfortable then say No & teach it to your child yourself! :)
    ladysylpher

• I suggest that you talk to your child about this issue yourself first. Just to get her/his mind understanding things at a level you are comfortable with. Then when the school addresses it, your child will be more comfortable with the discussion and understand things better. Also, it will help your child understand that "Mommy and my Teachers" are telling me the same thing. I must really watch this. DON'T BE AFRAID, go to the meeting and ask questions. BE PRESENT at the class if you are not comfortable. When your child gets home, talk about it and clarify issues that your child may have misunderstood.
    vpertusini

Answer by vpertusini at 12:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2008