ProPublica Report on PA Abortion Clinic

Apologies if this has been seen already. Here's the first paragraph:

"While this week's indictments involving a grisly abortion mill in Philadelphia has shocked many [1], the grand jury's nearly 300-page report also contains a surprising and little-noted revelation: In the mid-1990s, the administration of Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge, a pro-choice Republican, ended regular inspections of abortion clinics—a policy that continued until just last year."

And the link:  http://www.propublica.org/blog/item/gruesome-pennsylvania-abortion-clinic-had-not-been-inspected-for-17-years

My thought: The idea of not causing restrictions to access may have been a good intent. The execution of it here: Abysmal. Any type of medical facility needs frequent inspections, I don't care what kind of services they offer. Not inspecting made this facility as bad a butcher shop as any illegal back-alley clinic pre Roe v Wade.

Asked by gdiamante at 7:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• yeah, that man was a creep and deserves to be locked up
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• That's sad. I imagine Ridge has some feelings about this. I won't judge, but I think this one is likely a very unintended consequence.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2011