My stubborn little boy... venting

So this isn't really a question I'm just irritated with his response. All day today my son has been downright difficult to deal with. It's Friday, he had school, and being tired is the issue here and I know that. But his little stubborn butt has been in and out of time out all day for telling me no when asked to do things, or saying "duh" and rolling his eyes, our new way of saying no. Earlier I asked him if he would bring me a glass of water, kind of more jokingly then serious, and to my shock he was like sure mom and brought me water! 2 minutes later I asked him to put his swords away before moving onto his cars and he immediately flopped on the ground like a dying fish and acted as if I had commanded him to cut off his fingers. Fast forward about 2 hours and I asked if he'd place my bowl on the counter for me while I picked up other things so the dog wouldn't get to it and he goes "yes my queen" which to him and I isn't disrespectful in any way, he got it from a movie. Why will his stubborn monkey butt do things for me that I don't actually care about since I am capable of moving my own dish and getting water, but when I want him to pick up his toys, or get his shoes on, or flush the toilet after peeing, its a 20 minute battle! Sometimes I just wonder how that tired little mind of his works :) anyone else ever have this same situation?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with LindaClement; he is viewing your telling him to put his things away as an imposition.
    He wants to decide where his "things" go the same way you decide where your "things" go but he likes helping his
    Queen Mommy him being your Loyal Servant and Prince!
    What a beautiful role playing game!
    I wish I could shrink my almost 15yo son, Bradley and play that again!
    I miss those days and they go by ever so fast...and sadly my son is oppositional to the core as a teenager.
    Worse than any female with P.M.S...I swear!
    I now suffer from PMS...Putting-up with Men's Sh*t!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Not sure this is answering your question or vent rather LOL But I tried TO for a long time, with no real showing improvement. So I started using rewards and taking things away. That got my sons attention more than TO. And my son is shy of 2 1/2 right now. If he does something, like hitting or pushing his baby brother, he gets the warning. Next time TO in a corner. Next time he looses something he loves to play with.
    Posittive reinforcement, or as I like to call it, bribary LOL He gets a lollypop if he takes a nap. And a sticker when he poops in the potty.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Being helpful is fun. Being ordered how and when to do what with our personal possessions is an imposition. I mean, think of it as if you said this to your mom:

'Mom, could you hand me that tape measure?' followed by 'Mom, put your favourite chair over closer to the window, and move the tv to where I think it should be at your house.'

Do you really expect that mom will be less affronted by the second than the first?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I love bribes, lol... Normally time out is very effective for us, and he has a positive reinforcement sticker chart that we work on as well for other behaviors. Today is just an off day, about 85% of the time when I ask him to do something he does it. He might whine a little but as long as I don't hear that NO shout we move on... today its just irritating cause if I really want him to do it, he argues, but if I'm more joking, like getting me water, he's as happy as can be to comply... good thing bedtime is fast approaching :)

And at first I read that as your son got a lollipop every time he pooped and I was thinking how cleaned out his system must be, my son would try to poop 5 times a day if I did that. Then after chuckling I read it correctly LOL
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree that being helpful is fun and makes them feel important and useful.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I now suffer from PMS...Putting-up with Men's Sh*t!

hehe, I think I may suffer from this, only its my SO not my son... but I love him anyways, and I know my days of being a "queen" are numbered lol... good thing I have another admirer on the way :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011