How do you juggle breastfeeding/pumping, keeping child entertained while working at home?

I am a work at home transcriptionist for a local hospital. Currently on maternity leave, but when I return to work, my baby girl will be 7 weeks old and I am breastfeeding/pumping. I can work pretty much whatever schedule I need to, but curious how others handle taking care of little ones when you use your hands to work.

SoyspiceVA

Asked by SoyspiceVA at 7:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would skip the pumping part... a 7wk old baby nursing happily in your arms (get a sling, wrap or baby carrier to make it even easier) will not interfere with your ability to type. Really, until she's mobile and gets grabby, you can just keep her with you all the time. After that, it's still simpler and faster to get her to extract the milk herself while you work or take a break than it is to pump and then store and then get and serve...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I work from home and have a flexible schedule too. When my son came along my daughter was 2, so that was super fun, lol. A newborn, a toddler and a full time job at the same time! It is HARD WORK to be a SAHM AND a working mom at the same time, but you just can not beat the flexibility. I can take my kids to the doctor, soccer, ballet, etc. whenever I need to...but one drag is that for the most part I am tied to my laptop which keeps us all home mostly.... and for me, work gets done when I have time, which is sometimes at 8pm on Saturday nights, etc...

With one baby you can totally do it.... at 7 weeks she will probably still nurse frequently, but you'll have time in between. Do you have a husband that can relieve you of baby duty for a while when he gets home? When I'm super backed up at work I'll tell my DH that he needs to take the kids for an hour so I can get work done, etc... GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Get either a wrap or a boppy and a chair with arms. You can nurse her while typing and doing whatever you need to do. Once she gets older, she won't be nursing as often so it will just be a matter of keeping her entertained while you work... but right now it should be gravy!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I work at home and I'm been nursing for seven months. When she was really little I nursed in a moby while working, now , I use a boppy. I'm also really really good at typing with one hand. :0) Good Luck.

HannahMayr

Answer by HannahMayr at 11:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You can certainly work and breastfeed at the same time. If you can't work around your baby's sleep schedule, you will need some sort of childcare.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2011