Wisdom Teeth Removal

I am 10 weeks pregnant, and I was going to get my wisdom teeth removed until I found out I was pregnant. I wanted to try to wait until the baby is born to get them out. However I cant open my mouth all the way, and I cant chew or talk without being in a lot of pain.

The oral surgeon will remove my teeth, they just cant use general anestisia (sp?). Has anyone had this done?

ArmyWifeAshlie

Asked by ArmyWifeAshlie at 8:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Health

• Most people have teeth extracted that way... it's only really when there needs to be extensive surgery to remove impacted teeth that they use anaesthetic.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My wisdom teeth are impacted, but they said they could still do it with novacaine. I had extensive surgery on my mouth when I was younger (around 3) and my nerves are messed up. I'm more worried about after. Do you know if anything can be prescribed?
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Comment by ArmyWifeAshlie (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Talk to your OB/Gyn about possible twilight anesthesia. I had impacted wisdom teeth too & I don't think you want to be fully awake for that. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion :(
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• @sweetpotato- I was going to call just to double check on monday, but thank you for being honest! Lol. I'm terrfied, my husband is in the Army (obviously, according to my name) and they wont let him off work to help care for our son....
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Comment by ArmyWifeAshlie (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My were taken out with just Novocaine.

Answer by Bmat at 8:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• yes you can....they will numb your face up pretty good. BUT i am going ot warn you the pain afterward is no joke. i ended up with two dry sockets. and the loritabs they gave me barely touched the pain and i almost never take even tylenol. and pain meds (i promise you will need and alot of them) wont be good for baby. ...also when i had one removed it was so impacted i thought the guy was going to rip my jaw off trying to break it out. i had to literally hold my jaw in place and he yanked and pried on it. next time i will not be awake. i have my two top ones to go and i am putting it off cuz i am scared of it now. and alos the pain after wards was about as bad as labor pains sept for it made your whole face and jaw and ear hurt. was afraid to eat. not trying to scare you but that is my experience both times.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Sweetestkittens- thanks for your honesty. Everytime I open my Jaw my ear has excruciating pain, and the whole left side of my face hurts. I am going to call my ob and see what they say. I'm nervous but I would rather get it over with. I was in active labor for 4 days with no epidural and ended up with a csection, not much worse than that lol!
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Comment by ArmyWifeAshlie (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Well, my teeth weren't impacted, but they were making my jaw hurt pretty badly, & one of them was angled straight toward the front of my mouth. I got the Novocaine, & got all 4 taken out at once. It wasn't bad at all, to tell you the truth. A lot of the experience depends on how your nerves, jaw, & teeth are set up, & the surgeon you have. The worst part the day of surgery was that I slurred & drooled some, & by the next day I was eating soft breadsticks. I didn't swell up badly, & with the Percoset the doctor gave me, at the worst I was uncomfortable. I followed the home instructions very carefully, & I think it made a big difference. I LOVED rinsing with warm salt water- it helped with the swelling, & my doctor says it helps prevent dry sockets. I hope it isn't bad for you!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My teeth were impacted and I was totally asleep, it's not something you want to be awake. My DD was the same, soon as she found out she was pregnant, all 4 teeth impacted. She had to wait until the baby was born, and I think he was about 3 weeks and she was in and put to sleep and had them out. I'd be in excrucating pain before I'd let them do that sorry to say, but put it off if you can. Other than that, ask your OBGYN and also see what the Dentist says after you talk w/him. After all that's why you pay them the BIG bucks, for calls and service.!! Good Luck
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i have had them out with just a sleeping pill - they cannot do That when preggo - but even still i woke up with the dentist trying to get the tooth out - was SCARY!!! i would not recommend that route... it is very weird to have someone digging out your tooth. they let me go back to sleep - i didnt want to be put to sleep because i had just had my first child and had anxiety that i wouldnt "wake up again" after being put to sleep - i agree with checking with the ob about what he/she thinks is best.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2011