Do you think mining operations should have the right to operate within a mile of schools?

This is from another source. Just curious on your views.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 8:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you think schools should be allowed to operate within a mile of mining operations? Just another example of why it is so important to reduce government regulations and allow local communities to control their schools. That mine might be the difference between a robust economy for that locale or an increase in unemployment and poverty.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 10:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• seems to closes. Arent there risks?
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• seems scary to me
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No, I don't think they should even be near residential areas.
    ladynell4god

Answer by ladynell4god at 2:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• m-avi, curious about the source?

Anna, I understand your point... however, what if the school was there first? I don't know if that's the case here.And should communities have a say in whether a mine goes in or not?

Currently there is a huge battle in my community over a proposed gravel mine, just upwind of us. And we do get daily winds blowing right from that area into the community.

Many people in the town DO NOT want it. It means about 300 jobs... but many residents feel that jobs for less than three percent of the population is not worth the health risk, the damage to a nearby environmental research area, or the extra truck traffic that will result.

It cannot be put to a vote, but there have been many attempts to stop the project at the planning and county level. All have failed to this point. I have a feeling the mine WILL end up going in because of this.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• gdiamante...The county that wants the mine is probably starved for income and the likelihood that any attempt by the company to mitigate dust from the operations would be entirely successful is probably a moot point. I fear that you are looking at a risk of home ownership in a rural setting. The term "wrong side of the tracks" means when the train came through town, the prevailing winds blew its emissions towards one side of the tracks...that sucked for those people but it is what it is. People migrating to the countryside bring their urban attitudes with them...and you can see that during town meetings on just exactly the problem you expressed. Now if you believe in socialism, you have no problem...the mine wins for the greater good...as decided by the ruling elite.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• In many areas of the country, mining does operate within a mile of schools. Most generally, unless it is a non-union mine, the effects on the community as a whole are taken into consideration. I also agree with "annabarred" that people move to the country to get away from noise, taxes, city life in general, then want to have all the comforts of city life. It does not work that way. In a state such as where I live, the country includes dirt roads, water wells, mining, oil drilling, mom and pop stores compared to the larger chains, outhouses, farmers, etc. etc. etc. I see it as this was my choice to live here so I must adapt to the country way of life. The people here did not ask me to come and then try to change their way of life. Think what would happen if there was no mining?
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• It was a poll posted in my newspaper gdiamante... Just curious on thoughts here.
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2011