Forgetting who "we" are - We = Moms

....as mom we have to put everyone before us. How do you keep you? By that I mean how do you stay who you are? How do you (insert name) not lose urself to being a mom and wife.

I find it hard to remember who I was and am. I am doing wonderful things for my family but I do find it hard to reember or think of who I (Jazmine) am.

:)

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 8:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I make sure I get to spend time with my friends. Sometimes with my son, sometimes with out. I also spend a lot of time with family. With close friends and family, they only know you as you, but now you have a child who they love, they don't just know you as (insert name)'s mom.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The definition of "me" has changed drastically.  What I like to do now, I would have found extremely boring before having kids.  This new definition of "me" fits though.  I am a mother, a wife, a friend, a lover, etc.  And my entire life is based around those things.  I have learned to embrace the changes. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Me as well.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Sadly, I feel as tho I lost myself years ago. Then when I lost my grandparents (almost 2 yrs ago) - I feel like a piece of my old self went with them- since they helped define "me".
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I suspect the answer is that when we value our work, and the parts of ourselves (our preferences, our talents, our values) that we bring to it, we cease to look to others, paycheques or promotions for our validity.

What difference does it make if, as good listeners, we're listening to customers, adult friends, extended family or children? It's still us being good listeners.

What difference does it make if, as creative people, we are creative cooks, or creative problem solvers, or creative crafters? It's still us expressing our creatitivity...

Who are you? How are you different from everyone you know? What difference do your circumstances make to that?!?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have no idea. I was just thinking about this last night. I have totally lost who I am. It is very depressing, I no longer have any friends, never get out of the house, I feel like I have regressed in the social department.

crazytexan

Answer by crazytexan at 9:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• yeah I was talking to someone and was like if a mom doesnt get out she becomes sheltered.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have never stopped being ME. I always make sure I have time for myself. When we became moms, we didn't stop living, we didn't stop being a person. Just because we become a mom and/or husband doesn't mean we have to put everything on hold. I still went out with my friends, I still had time to myself. I am a single mom and if I can still have time to be me, then someone that is married can still have time to be a person. A happy mom is a good mom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Well, I think it's important to do things for yourself, get out every once in a while...by yourself...with hubby...and friends, this way u get to be u as u and not just as a mom....but remember being your children's mom makes u you! That's why we are so special, and our children make us unique because there aren't 2 children alike in the world!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• the only part of me i now is what i like to put on my body. ive very pickey when it comes to cloths and shoes
    marinewife0311

Answer by marinewife0311 at 7:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2011