oh my god i feel like a horrible mother

My DD was behind me and i went to bend over, not knowing her face was right behind my foot, and when i bent over, i lifted my leg up and my heel hit her in her eye I feel SO horrible her eye is red and puffy i want to cry is there anything i can do to help it go down? she doesnt seem to be in pain but i feel so damn bad

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Accidents do happen so don't feel terrible Momma.
    My Grandmother accidently cut off my Auntie Kim's pinky finger when she was only 3 yrs old.
    If that helps you put things in perspective!
    She was trying to get my Auntie in the car and she was putting my Mom (my mom is younger) in the car at the time.
    She didn't know that my Aunt had her fingers in the car door when she shut it!
    Imagine her horror!
    They were able to sew her pinky back on thanks to my Grandmother's quick thinking...she put it on ice and rushed
    to the hospital.
    But it goes to show you that Moms make mistakes because we're human.
    And in the grand scheme of things, although you feel bad, this is a minor one.
    Certainly this won't be the Absolute Worst thing your child will ever go though....sadly.
    Cheer Up Mom. :)
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Ice. Or a cold rag. If she'll let you. Try not to feel to horrible mama, accidents DO happen, and even to the best of us!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• some ice or a bag of frozen corn or peas. no biggy accidents happen
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't know if I am an over protective, or whatever, mom but I would take her to the doctor, just to make sure everything will be fine. Or at least call an advice nurse. Sometimes if they blow is bad enough bones can fracture in the face, so just call. I'd start out with some children't ibuprofine, it helps with swelling and pain.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I know you feel bad, but she's probably alright. Get her an ice pack for her eye. If you notice any bruising on the cheek, you can put witch hazel on it. Babies are very resilient; they're tougher than they look. :) And trust me, stuff like this happens to every mom.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Accidents happen babe, no reason to panic or be upset with yourself.  I can understand being up at her eye being puffy and red, but don't be upset with yourself.  An ice pack (whatever is available in your freezer) and a towel wrapped around it will help a little.  Or just use wet cool paper towels. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011