any ideas on flies???

ok so, it is like 5 degrees outside, and there are flies in my house. for the longest time we couldn't figure out why. cat box got cleaned out daily, 3 cats. then we thought maybe the soda cans, so we started rinsing them out every time before putting them in the boxes. then i thought the ferret cage, 3 of them. i have been scooping that out about every 2 to 3 days. it would get done everyday, but with three of them and a new baby it is hard to get them and their stuff all out and whatnot. im not getting rid of my ferts, they are my babies. lol. the cage is huge! almost the size of one of my walls, it has a plastic tub bottom, and i had a litter box in it, but they didn't care about it. so to stop the stink of pee i just started filling the whole bottom with litter, and scooping it like the cat box....
so heres my question, even though i scoop it every few days, where are these freaking flies coming from? and how do i get rid of them?
i hadd my dd 7 weeks ago, and was in the hosptial for like 5 days, so i wasn't home to clean it. when i got home and cleaned it, there were little flies in there, but now were back on cleaning schedule. im clean, my house is clean daily, the garbage is takenout daily, i don't get it! im ready to move! lol. please help, and no bashing on the amount of animals i have with two kids to deal with. i get it enough from my mother! lol. i just believe if you bring an animal in your house unless it is a danger to your children or other people, i will not throw it away. ok, thanks!

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Pets

• I would google this and see what happens.  We had a huge problem with flies this year also.  LOTS of people have.  My bestest STILL has flies that she can't get rid of and she doesn't have any animals and her house is damn sure clean. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Are they house flies or little flies, like fruit flies? If they are tiny, they are probably coming into your house on fruits or vegetables from the market.

If they are fruit flies, take a small glass, pour about 1/2 way full of vinegar (balsamic if you have it), put in a small piece of cut fruit & a spoonful of sugar. Cover the top tightly w/ plastic wrap & poke several small holes in the plastic w/ a toothpick. The flies will be able to get in but not get out. If they're fruit flies.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/48042/home_remedies_to_get_rid_of_flies.html
    MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• not fruit flies, theyre small, but that not that small, lol. theyre also a little bit smaller than the average big black fat house flies. if that helps.
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• MrsHouston47302- thank you! i will try those!
    also, if there are flies, shouldn't there be maggots? there are no maggots anywhere! thats why it is so hard to figure it out....
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I never had maggots either!  They are magicians, I tell ya! 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• What kind of kitty litter do you use? I bought a bag of tidy cat over the summer by mistake and all of a sudden I had a fly problem. I ended up getting these hot shot fly killer that comes in a blue bag and that got rid of them.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• kyliesmom5- its just the cheap dollar general litter, when u use as much as i do, u need to do it cheap! lol there are some flies in the bathroom where the box is, but thats always clean, of pee and poop, so theyre coming from kitchen to back of house. and we can go on a killing spree, kill each and everyone of them, the next morning, theres a million more!
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Some flies lay their eggs in the earth and then enter the home through cracks and crevices. You find these flies coming from and living in attics or basements frequently. Use a fly bomb in the attic or basement to get rid of them. There are also some flies that live in drains, if there is a cracked drain, they can enter that way. And last, this is the worst, but if you have any dead animals/rodents or anything like that, the flies can be hatching out of that too. For instance, if you put out poison to kill mice, and there is a dead mouse somewhere, the flies can use that to lay the eggs, possibly in a wall of the house, and you would never know where the flies came from.

Just some ideas!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I was thinking along the lines of spottedpony. There may be something dead somewhere either in an attic or a crevice or near a door that you aren't seeing that is a source for the flies to keep breeding. Make sure all your pets, including the ferrets are on a parasite control. Some topical flea products can help with a measure of bug control around the house and in the carpeting, etc. Check with the vet to see what, if anything is safe for the ferrets. Also, you may want to consider bathing the ferrets. Even de-scented ferrets have a distinctive smell that may be encouraging the flies to stay. You may consider bombing your house or calling an exterminator. DO NOT, whatever you do, use (or let the exterminator use) a product with permethrin or pyrethrin - it is a natural product, but it is toxic to cats.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2011