Do you think age appropriate sexual education leads to kids engaging in sex??

I was just reading another question and some suggested that educating children on sex leads to kids having sex. So is it better to start educating early on and continue appropriately or to wait and have "the talk" later???

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Teach them as they ask
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Anything and everything can trigger kids engaging in sex, and I wouldn't be surprised if sex ed also piqued that interest. I'm still not against it; they need to know how to protect themselves against STD's and unwanted pregnancies whenever they decide to have sex.
    LizardAgent

Answer by LizardAgent at 9:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No education does not lead to sex. People have figured out for a long time how to fit things together with out an instruction book. Talking about sex with your kid does give them the security of knowing you can be talked to about it and gives them factual information instead of false facts when it comes to spreading stds and stopping pregnancy.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no way, especially with all those sexual shows on TV. i think that if kids are gonna do it theyre gonna do it, so they might as well use protection. look at Texas, it has a way high teen pregnancy rate and they dont teach sex ed
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Hormones trigger sexual desire, NOT education. It very ridiculous and rather immature to think otherwise.

If you answer (age appropriate of course) their questions honestly as they ask them, they will be better equipped to handled the changes that happen as they grow up.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with SpiritedWitch
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think it's the opposite. Lack of education, that and all of these high school themed shows that show so much sex. Glee for instance. LOVE the show. But after the first season's pregnancy you think the rest of them would have thought twice about having sex but no. They portray it like it's no big deal. If teens don't learn from parents or a trusted adult that sex is a big decision they won't know. So not teaching them is, by far, a worse idea.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 11:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• we took sex ed in 7 grade and it scared me to death I thought that if you had sex you would get pregnant or get a std. I did end up loosing my virginity a month before I turned 18 but it was to my boyfriend who is now my husband going on 7 years. I think kids are going to have sex regardless of sex ed might as well be educated about it. I also think that it is up to the parents as well. I knew if I ended up pregnant or with a std my mom would be so disappointed and heart broken and that ran through my mind every time I found myself in a sexual situation.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• That's crazy getting educated about sex makes kids wanna go out there and do it. I don't think so. If I remember the sex ed classes in middle school there is nothing in those classes that makes me want to have sex. Want to discourage kids from having sex? Teach them about STDs. Ew. I remember that class (and the nasty graphic pics) and trust me after that class I wasn't exactly wanting to jump in to bed with anyone.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• I started educating my girls at a young age.  They are now almost 14 (and NOT sexually active) and 18.  My 18 year old started having sex with her boyfriend when she was 17.  I knew it was coming and she talked to me about it BEFORE she had sex, so I took her to the doctor and got her on the pill.

I think the lack of education, misinformation and the lack of parental guidance and communication is what leads to kids engaging in sex before they are ready and promiscuity.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2011