Is it ok that my BF 4 1/2 mo. old is still eating every two hours and sometimes sooner?

lefultz87

Asked by lefultz87 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Of course.

Normal breastfeeding, where there are no clocks, happens between 6 and 50 times in 24 hours. The important question is 'why are you counting?' What matters is that your baby has unrestricted access to food, love and physical safety.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would put some oatmeal or rice cereal in that babys bottle if you're not already doing so.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Feeding on demand is always good. Except try to increase the amount of time your little one is eating. Do you pump at all? Or do you know how much you are producing? You might not be producing enough at one time to satisfy her for longer.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• When I pump its about 3oz. He really does not like taking a bottle, and usually eats less than 2 oz. Wasting milk each time I try, but I want him to have the option. Should I start pumping a few times a day to increase?
    lefultz87

Comment by lefultz87 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes, if ur bf let ur baby eat when every he/she wants alot of time babys just want to suck not nessecelry eat
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• As long as you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, I'd allow him to nurse on demand. Again, as long as you're changing those diapers, you don't NEED to take steps to increase supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No need to pump, no need to offer bottles, he doesn't need any other "option". He's perfect, he's doing exactly as he should be doing. Good job, mama, keep it up! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Does he use a pacifier? He might be using you as one. How long has this been going on? It might be that he's just cluster feeding right now.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2011

• Perfectly normal especially since it is normal to have a growth spurt around 4 months. Normal breastfeeding is feeding on demand and not watching a clock. Watch the wet and dirty diapers instead. If using disposables then you should have 6-8 wet and dirty diapers a day or more. Oh and to those that said add cereal to a bottle she is BREASTFEEDING!!!! Also cereal is not to be given until they are AT LEAST 6 months old. There is no need to pump and pumping is NO indication of how much your LO gets while nursing. Many women do not respond well to the pump.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2011