Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

Serious question and in need of serious advice.

I am 22 years old, and mother of a 16 month old son that suffers with RSDS and Bi-polar disorder, regardless of my pain and mood issues my son is my whole world, I breath him every single day.
I live with his grandparents, my mother and father because before I got pregnant I was in a car accident and it left my right arm distoryed, as I have no use of it anymore, than shortly after was dignosed with RSDS for people that don't know is progressive nerve dieases that sometimes appears after a major trama- so we decided staying with my parents until when and if I got approved for social security disablity was in the best intrest of both me and my son. I was approved for social security disablity for both my bi-polar disorder, and my arm.
I reciently decided it was time to move out, as I have a solid income, and am medicated, and see doctors on a weekly basis and also have a developmental coach and parenting advisor come in weekly to both check on me, my parenting, my mood swings, and my son. this was a program I choose to sign up for, not somthing I was "forced" into. I wanted to make sure having bi-polar disorder I had someone other than myself looking out for the best intrest of my son, and making sure I was being the best parent I culd be.
well, I decided to move out and my mother threw a fit and said I was NOT ALLOUD to leave with her grandson, as she does not feel mentally handicap single parents can raise children alone, and if I decided to go she would go for full costody of my son, and "I would not get him back"
first off, I would like to point out that my mom is also bipolar (and unmedicated, and doesnt believe she is "sick") she claims though that because she had a husband things were diffrent, because there was always somone there to look after her children if she was unable. She also suffers from some type of pain disorder- though docs can't figure out whats wrong, she spent 3 weeks in the Mayo clinic for them to find nothing, so she takes 90 mil of morphine 3 times a day to "cope with her pain" having RSDS myself, and living WITH OUT pain meds I know that pain is not somthing that some people can cope with, i have to go to group therephy, and got a spinal stimular put in to try and releave my pain as much as possible- but she doesnt shower herself, doenst drive to her apts herself goes to the bathroom in a camoad because she wont walk to the bathroom and she is going to try and "take my son"
she also took the keys to MY car, that I BOUGHT and OWN payed in full and payed MYSELF to be insured for a yaer so I could not up and leave with my son in the middle of the night and last night my front tire mysteriously popped- so now Im without a tire until the 3rd when I recieve my SSDI benifits. She said she had a Plan, she would take my car, and make me unable to go to my Psych appts, there for causing me to run out of medication, so I hve a fit of Psycosis, than that will be the "burden of proof" she needs in court to have my rights terminated.
I dont know what do do-
she took my car.
all my benifits are deposted into her account and she took my debit card into that accound, and I am unable to go to the bank and withdrawl money because I need her signature *I did that so I had someone helping me make responsible finanical choices*
and now im going to be without medication come the 27th of this month, and its all in her plan to take my son.
what do I do?
please help, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My son is my world. I lost him there would be no reason to be left on it.
is there a law that makes it illegal for her to go out of her way to get a mentally ill person off there meds for benifit? this is like black mail to me, and I just dont know what to do.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (20)
  • I wish I could help, God bless you!

    Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • wow, I'm so sorry. First of all, I would stop any checks from being deposited into your mom's account. if you have to stay long enough to earn back her trust, then bait and switch, do so. Same time, I would go to the benefits counselor and let them know what's happening. Journal, journal journal everything. get everything out of her name, then move when she's asleep. That's what I'd do.

    Answer by charlottej at 9:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Make a few calls. Call up the Dr or nurse line and explain the medication situation. Maybe have a friend pick up your Rx with your signature. Have a friend drive you to where you need to go until your tire comes in and I'd say see about getting a back up set of keys and don't tell her about it. Unless there is REAL proof, they can't take your child away. If you really want out, seek legal counsel to see what can be done in your case. What does your father say about all of this since he's your mother's care giver at this point? Just be strong and stay positive for you and your son. G'luck.

    Answer by Imortlmommy at 9:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • my first suggestion is to contact local police. Second, call Social Security and have payments stopped to that particular account. Third, i would go to your local SRS office and ask if they had a shelter of some kind that you would qualify for. The chances of a judge severing rights from a mother, based on circumstancial things, is highly unlikely. I wish you the best of luck!

    Answer by tayshu4 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • i would call the police and report her for theft and harassment...what she has done is ILLEGAL...and odds are the judge would never rmove the child from your custody if you are really doing everything as you stated.

    Answer by LoriaAnn at 9:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Do you have a cell phone or something else that you can use to record her when she is saying these things to you? Record her.

    How about a friend you can call or one of the people that do visits to you tell them whats going on.


    Answer by Charis76 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • You made the decision to have her hold your money and you can undo it.  Go to the social security office and tell them you want that changed.  And I agree with above poster, get the hell out of there!  And just let me commend you for a second on what you have acheived so far.  I wish that my own mother had done the same!  Good luck to you and your child.  I wish that I lived closer, I'd sneak you all off.  :)


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • The first people you should talk to is your developmental coach and parenting advisor and start looking for help. I'm pretty sure there are laws meant to protect people with disabilities.It's not right to prevent someone from getting the medical care they need. Good luck!

    Answer by Lornamay at 9:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Basically she's holding you hostage. You need to need to call everyone you can think of to let them know what is going on, including your benefits couselor, CYS, even the is against the law to prevent someone from getting the medical care that they need.

    Answer by colethky at 9:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • OK i know this sounds wrong but this is what you need to do...tell her your staying let her calm down for a few weeks and after she is calm and trusts you go to social security tell them that she is stealing your checks they will take it out of her name she canot take custudy away from you just because of those things trust meand your going to paranting classes wich is a plus calm down and look at things like this,leave the day after you leave take it out of her name make sure you have a stable home and all before doing thid as to be sure there will be no problems...

    Answer by cielo1 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.