3 year old with ADHD....

my 3 year old is on the verge of being diagnosed with ADHD. He has behaviorial problems, problems listening and paying attention. His doctor referred us to a child psychiatrist, who then refered us to a therapeutic preschool. the behavior hasnt changed, and hes a pretty small kid. Because hes so small, the psychiatrist is reluctant to prescribe medication. I worried about him becoming increasingly mean to himself and maybe others. I also have a 4 year old and a 7 month old who spend most of their time together!

tayshu4

Asked by tayshu4 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• That seems way too young to medicate.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• What is your question? Do we(ladies on cm) think your son should be medicated? My opinion is no. My oldest was dx with adhd and we just changed his routine so that if fit him better. He's almost 13 now and we've had no issues. My 10 year old was just partially dx with add(too much free time and he acts up but not all the time, that's why it's partial) and we're working on a new routine along with a reward and punishment system. He has anger issues and the the 2nd born of 4 boys. So far he's doing much better and has never taken a pill. There are books out that help you learn to deal with add and adhd that don't involve meds. Please keep in mind that some of the drugs now used to treat add and adhd haven't been around long enough to know what kind of long term damage could be done.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• ADD and ADHD are way too over diagnosed, seems like every kid you say has a little energy or has a hard time understanding something, the doctors will automatically jump to ADD or ADHD and want to shove pills in the kids mouth. 20-30 years ago when no one knew about these disorders, kids seemed to turn out just fine without being medicated and dragged around to psyciatrists. it just makes them feel like something is wrong with them, which causes even more problems
    Anonymous

• Way too young to medicate. Way too young to diagnosis as ADHD. Try a schedule that you stick to, routine, consistency are all needed for kids that have ADHD and kids that are as young as yours is. I would get a second opinion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Totally agree with tyfry7496 and I would like to add that there are other issues that can mimic ADHD, especially in 3 year olds who tend to be overactive anyway (and are supposed to be!). If you have one available in your area, a consult with a developmental pediatrician would be a good idea and/or a pediatric neurologist, and also an evaluation by a qualified occupational therapist for a sensory processing disorder. Does your 3 y/o have any communication issues? Delayed, even slightly delayed, communication skills can cause a child to develop behavioral and/or attentional problems, as can hearing and/or auditory processing issues or visual processing issues. Even mild or absence seizures can cause the types of behaviors you have described (not that I'm saying your son is having seizures). My point is, 3 years old is way too young to dx ADHD & every possibility should be explored.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• People thought my son was ADHD also when he was three. He is now 10 and out grew it. 4 is WAY too yound to diagnose ADD. I would wait until hes at least 6 or older before even considering meds and get multiple docs opinions.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 11:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help

Answer by rkoloms at 4:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• my hubby and i believe our son might have adhd, so we are going to change around is diet, no sugar, caffine, ect. and we will enter him in sports when he starts prek3 in aug. there are tons of options out there besides meds. You should check out th adhd and add groups here, the one i joined has a lot of info on meds and not using them.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2011

• IMO he's too young for a diagnosis and far too young to be medicated. Try eliminating sugar and dyes from his diet.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Before medicating, you need to take him to an allergist for a food panel rast test for IgG antibodies. He could have multiple food sensitivities that are manifesting as behavioral issues. No 3 yr old should be put on mind altering drugs except as a LAST resort.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2011