Christmas is approching...

Now with the new baby and less income, I have to come up with some more creative ideas for Christmas gifts. I was thinking of giving gift baskets with homemade things in them. I have made homemade gifts before and ended up feeling like I spent about the same amount of money I would have if I had just bought gifts. Any ideas on what to put in the baskets while keeping the cost down?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Last Christmas I made family baskets and they were Family Night ones. In the baskets I bought stuff to make smores, microwave popcorn, cookie mixes, brownie mixes and through 2 handfulls full of mixed nuts in the shells in the basket. I think each basket combined cost me 10.00 a piece to make.
    You could make soups and cookie jars, where you put the dry ingredients and they add the liquid. I'm trying to think on whatelse I came up with over the last several yrs.
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 8:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have done the homemade Christmas thing the last few yrs, thanks lucandpepsmom for the smores idea! I have done the family movie night basket a movie and some munchies. Decorative jars filled with coco and marshmallows or apple cider with Cinnamon sticks. One of my favs is I get plain unfinished wood picture frames ( like from the dollar store) and decorate them. If you have older kids this is great they can paint them however they like, if you have a baby use pain and place foot prints around. Then shilac it and place a special photo in it ( usually use school pic or Christmas photo) The cost of this one is minimal and priceless! good luck
    angelic77

Answer by angelic77 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I think one of the things I love the most is the children's hand prints. You take a plastic lid and put a hook in the top edge. Fill it with plaster. make the hand print. When it is dry paint it. We used gold spray pain. When my adult son died that little hand print meant so much to me. I can see the lines in his hand and his little finger prints in it. I just wish we had done it every year.

Something like this and a picture of the child is a wonderful gift to grandparents.

Gramy6

Answer by Gramy6 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• These are great ideas!!!
    chelseychae

Answer by chelseychae at 4:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• One of the gifts ideas we used most often was to buy a cheap purse and then go to the dollar store and buy things to fill the purse. Things like, lotion, bracelets, barrettes, notebooks, journals, pencils, perfume, etc. Kind of like a grab bag in a pretty container. We rarely ever spent more than $10 - $15 a piece and the girls always loved them. You can stick to a theme such as, notebook, pencils, stickers, and erasers or perfume, lotion, and lip gloss, or you can mix it up. I have only daughters, so most of their friends are little girls. I've never made one for a boy, but I bet you could find something like a lunchbox with a superhero logo and fill that with boy stuff. Party favors sometimes make good items to stuff a bag with. You can buy these with several items in one package and split them up to fill several bags. Miniature games, playing cards, balloons, etc.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2008