Christmas is approching

Now with the new baby and less income, I have to come up with some more creative ideas for Christmas gifts. I was thinking of giving gift baskets with homemade things in them. I have made homemade gifts before and ended up feeling like I spent about the same amount of money I would have if I had just bought gifts. Any ideas on what to put in the baskets while keeping the cost down?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Shopping

• I have some cute block picture frame kits available (<$2.00 per frame). Adding a special photo for the receiver can make it even more special. If you go to my profile, you can see a photo of them.
    ------------------------

Who are you giving the baskets to? If you let me know, i'm happy to brainstorm ideas of stuff you might want to inlcude. In other words, are the gift baskets for family members, neighbors, teachers?

This economy has really got a lot of people in a pinch, so truly -- happy to help come up w/ some fun ideas for you,
    j-
    s-x0x0

Answer by s-x0x0 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• yuo're right, those types of homemade gifts do cost just as much and somtimes more if you are not careful. can you just explain to everyone that you can only buy for your children this year? we are only buying for our family this year, because last year it just seemed so obvious gift buying for other adults in the extended family was something nobody wanted to do anymore. everyone agreed, to my surprise. i am sure your extended family will agree with you, not have any hard feelings, be understanding and may be relieved that they themselves won't have to buy either. just ask.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 8:57 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I agree with jumpinghoops! When money is tight, just shop for the children. As a personal stylist/shopper I have found some great bargains at DollarTree. I found some fabulous scarves that look expensive and they only cost $1. They also have name brand lotions,candles,soaps,hand sanitizer,etc. Those are all things that can go into a homemade basket. For kids I have seen disney character dolls, coloring books, etc....
    thedies

Answer by thedies at 11:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You can make bath salts with some epsom (I think they're called) salts at the store, add some drops of essential oil and olive oil and put it in a little jar. You can also make "family recipe books." just ask each family member to submit one or two of their favorite recipes, print them out with their picture, bind them and put them in the baskets. Also, Martha Stewart living Holiday edition has some great, affordable homemade stuff you can do.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You just have to set a budget and stick to it, making sure you have plenty of time to shop around.

One thing we plan to do this year is not go overboard with gifts for our son (who will be four months old on Christmas Day). He won't have a clue what's going on and is going to get more than he'll even need from everyone else. We're going to make sure he has the keepsake ornaments and gets a couple of toys and things, but that's it! We figure it's our last easy Christmas for him, so we're going to take advantage of it!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I made these cakes in a mug one year. They were really easy and actually taste good. You can find the directions at http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id195.htm
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 8:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2008