Why doesn't my doc check me for dilation?

I'm 37 weeks and just went to my doc appt yesterday. I was expecting to be checked for effacement and dilation. Only because I have heard many women say that's when they start to check. I asked my doc if she was going to check my cervix and she said it wasn't necessary. But she would do it if I wanted her to. I'm wondering did anyone else experience this? I haven't noticed any BH contractions yet. If it's not necessary and won't indicate when I may have my baby, then I don't see why it is done for others.

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• All docs are different I did start getting checked about that time. I would request it if you want it from now on though, after all it is your baby and your pregnancy :-)
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my dr did today. but only because he thought by feeling my belly the baby might be breech. so he did and exam and founf he was head down. but had that not happend i wouldnt have been checked. i am 8.5 months.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 10:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It's not necessary at all. They can't predict when you will start labor. I didn't have vaginal exams with my last 3 pregnancies....not even during labor.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i didn't get checked till 39wks with both my kids. you're not having BH, there really isn't a reason to have it done. it hurts like hell anyway.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• What do they do to make it hurt?
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• They try to avoid checking unless you have felt contractions, bc checking for dilation can sometimes cause infection
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• my OB office doesnt either, they say it increases risk for infection
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• they stick their fingers up in you and check the cervix. for me it hurt like crap. i was crying it hurt so bad. especially with dd, since the opening of the cervix wasn't where it was supposed to be, she had to try to grab it and move it down...but it was SO soft she couldn't get a good grip and she kept having to do it. she'd stop when it looked like i was about to start screaming, let me calm down, then do it again...

but everyone is different. it really depends on your pain tolerance. for some women, it's just an uncomfortable feeling. i can tolerate pain. i just can't tolerate pain down there.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have never made it past 32 weeks so i don't know. I do know that it hurts VERY bad. I wouldn't want them to check me at all if it wasn't necessary.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Cervical exams, and dilation give you no indication how far in labor you are (if in labor) and when the baby will be born. You can be dilated to a 3 for weeks, or months before the baby is born, and you can go from 1 to 10 in a mere few hours.

KUDOS to your doctor for recognizing that exams are NOT necessary.
    eeyore530

Answer by eeyore530 at 12:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2011