How to break my soon to be step-daughter from only eating chicken nuggets?

My soon to be step-daughter is stuck on only eating chicken nuggets. I want to introduce new foods to her. She's going to be 4 in March. My kids are a little older and I never allowed them to eat one type of food so I'm kinda stuck on how to make the transition fun.

nmaxwell816

Asked by nmaxwell816 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let her help make some of it. Kids like to help cook.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Well good for you for trying to make it fun!  I would say having her help prepare the food.  Not sure if it will work but it's the best I got, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Do you like cooking shows?  It might be nice to watch some of those with her, online, or on television and see if something sparks her attention and she wants to try it.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Do not have nuggets available. Tell her that it is important that she eat what the family is eating.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• let her make her own plate and don't offer nuggets at all. she'll eat when she is hungry.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• not sure. i just make what i make, put it in front of my kids. if they eat, they eat. if not, then they stay hungry. i don't make different things for each kid. we all eat the same thing. try to eat as a family. if you eat as a family, there's more of a chance she'll eat what you give her at a family dinner than if you're all eating at different times or areas. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My mom says that fooling a child is easy, so getting some fish and making it look like nuggets could possibly help. I like the above answer as well is allowing her to participate in the cooking process. If nothing else works though, you will have to let her know that other foods are important by showing and possibly explaining the food pyramid. Monkey see, monkey do also works so let her see other kids eating other things and she will possibly give in eventually just because they are doing something different. My little girl loves nuggets, but as soon as I say that there aren't anymore and when she gets really hungry she finally gives in to whatever is there to fix her hunger. Hope any of these work.
    Cherish809

Answer by Cherish809 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My son has this betty crocker kids cookbook- it has lots of fun recipes (with great illustrations) that may tempt her. They're not all the healthiest recipes, but it would be a start. =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'd just offer her other options in addition to her nuggets. She may be using it as comfort food and if you take it away from her cold turkey she may have some serious emotional reactions not to mention hate you for it. Hopefully if she sees other kids eating other things she might try them. Peer pressure and fitting in means a lot to little kids.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Just quit giving her nuggets - if you're feeding them to her, you're enabling her. Don't buy them anymore. She'll learn. The "transition" doesn't need to be fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2011